Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid VA Collections Question

tag
Mommy2anAngel2007
Established Member

Re: Paid VA Collections Question

In the exact same boat currently.  We moved, had no idea about the over payment...none.  They sent our mail to Germany, and we moved.  Once they found us, we paid immediately.  Pulled the credit report, the account is being reported TWICE, with different balances.  If I combine both balances, the amount listed on the credit report is INCORRECT.  I just filed a complaint with CFPB on 2/17.  I've disputed,  and called the VA with no luck.  I can let you know once I receive my results from CFPB if you'd like.  

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bartoe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty much the same thing happened to my husband.  There are two of these overpayments and both have been paid.  I sent the VA goodwill letter recently.  It's too early to receive a response.  I have read that they are tough to get off.  I hate the way the VA does collections. You could try a goodwill letter as well.  It's a slim chance from what I've read but you may just get lucky.  

Do you happen to have a copy of your letter you'd be willing to share with me?  I was thinking about sending a Goodwill Letter as well to just see what would happen.  It's just frustrating becasue when we were mortgage shopping last year every mortgage company asked about the collection and said that htey would have to "consult" to see if they would be able to work with it....and we want to use a VA loan so we are hoping they'll be able to remove it!

Sure.  I will pm it to you.  It's one I found online somewhere and modified to fit my situation.  

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a suggestion if your other efforts don't work.

Write a letter to your US Representative. Explain as clearly as you can the sitution. And ask clearly for what you want (for the VA to remove the collections from your reports). I would not present it as a goodwill request, but rather the fair outcome based on the facts. But that's up to you.

Send the letter to your Reprentative's district office (not the Washington, DC, office, although if you send it to DC it will get forwarded to the district office). The Representative has someone working in his/her district office called a constituent liaison. That person's job is to be a go-between (on the Represenative's behalf) between constituents (you) and federal agencies (in this case, the VA).

When the constituent liaison gets your letter, he will write a letter from the Represenative to a congressional liaison at the VA. The letter will essentially say, "One of my constituents contacted me with this problem. Would you please look into it and let me know if you can help?" The Represenative will sign the letter, and it will be sent along with your letter. The constituent liaison may contact you before this, too, if he needs any additional documentation.

There are no guarantees here, of course. They aren't going to violate policies just because a Representative's office asks them a question. But sometimes you do get a more sympathetic ear. It is a sort of back door where they may be more inclined to help you than someone who just wants to get your paperwork off their desk (or to avoid making more paperwork, or is trying just not to rock the boat until they get to retirement).

Eventually, you'll hear back from the Representative with an answer. Maybe it's successful. Maybe it isn't. At the very least, you'll get a letter signed by your Representative (which, depending on how you feel about him/her, may be kind of cool).

At least that was how it worked 20 years ago when I did that job (constituent liaison) for a couple of years. Smiley Happy

Edit to Add: You can do the same thing with your Senator. But you should only do one. Either your Represenative or one of your Senators. If you live in a very small state with one Representative and two Senators, then choose one of the Senators. If you live in a larger state, the Senators are spread too thin, so use your Represenative.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Write a letter to your US Representative. Explain as clearly as you can the sitution. And ask clearly for what you want (for the VA to remove the collections from your reports). I would not present it as a goodwill request, but rather the fair outcome based on the facts. But that's up to you.

Send the letter to your Reprentative's district office (not the Washington, DC, office, although if you send it to DC it will get forwarded to the district office). The Representative has someone working in his/her district office called a constituent liaison. That person's job is to be a go-between (on the Represenative's behalf) between constituents (you) and federal agencies (in this case, the VA).

When the constituent liaison gets your letter, he will write a letter from the Represenative to a congressional liaison at the VA. The letter will essentially say, "One of my constituents contacted me with this problem. Would you please look into it and let me know if you can help?" The Represenative will sign the letter, and it will be sent along with your letter. The constituent liaison may contact you before this, too, if he needs any additional documentation.

There are no guarantees here, of course. They aren't going to violate policies just because a Representative's office asks them a question. But sometimes you do get a more sympathetic ear. It is a sort of back door where they may be more inclined to help you than someone who just wants to get your paperwork off their desk (or to avoid making more paperwork, or is trying just not to rock the boat until they get to retirement).

Eventually, you'll hear back from the Representative with an answer. Maybe it's successful. Maybe it isn't. At the very least, you'll get a letter signed by your Representative (which, depending on how you feel about him/her, may be kind of cool).

At least that was how it worked 20 years ago when I did that job (constituent liaison) for a couple of years. Smiley Happy

Edit to Add: You can do the same thing with your Senator. But you should only do one. Either your Represenative or one of your Senators. If you live in a very small state with one Representative and two Senators, then choose one of the Senators. If you live in a larger state, the Senators are spread too thin, so use your Represenative.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will give this a try if my GW letters don't have a favorable response.  

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never understood how the VA can, in good conscience, absolutely REFUSE to remove these marks that resulted from THEIR OWN DAMN MISTAKES! It seriously just pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never understood how the VA can, in good conscience, absolutely REFUSE to remove these marks that resulted from THEIR OWN DAMN MISTAKES! It seriously just pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this.

Exactly.  Not to mention hubby joined before they stopped making you pay the $1200 for the GI Biill.  Now that you no longer have to pay in to receive the benefit you can of course claim your $1200 back....if you hop on one leg blindfolded in a circle. The process is quite insane and specific to get that money back.   

Message 16 of 18
bartoe
New Contributor

@Mommy2anAngel2007 wrote:

In the exact same boat currently.  We moved, had no idea about the over payment...none.  They sent our mail to Germany, and we moved.  Once they found us, we paid immediately.  Pulled the credit report, the account is being reported TWICE, with different balances.  If I combine both balances, the amount listed on the credit report is INCORRECT.  I just filed a complaint with CFPB on 2/17.  I've disputed,  and called the VA with no luck.  I can let you know once I receive my results from CFPB if you'd like.  

Same here! It's TWO different amounts and as soon as he got the notice they paid it!  It's horrible!  I don't understand WHY they have to leave it on and what's worse for us is that it shows up as collections all the time when credit has been applied for and it's like NO it's been paid for almost 4+ years!

Message 17 of 18
bartoe
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.  I will try that if other efforts have failed.  I just want to help my husband out!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.