cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid a CA before I knew to get a PFD in writing. TU is reporting as Derogatory. Ex shows paid.

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Paid a CA before I knew to get a PFD in writing. TU is reporting as Derogatory. Ex shows paid.

What recourse do I have here.  I paid this when I first pulled my credit in May of last year.  I wasn't aware I owed this money and it wasn't much so I just called the CA and told them I would pay and asked that it be removed from my credit report. I know now that I should have demanded a PFD in writing before paying.

Here is the bigger issue TU is still reporting this:

Original Creditor: NEVADA POWER  Account No.: 201101****  High Balance: 83  Date Opened: 09/30/2004  Date Reported: 03/12/2005  Balance: 86  Condition: Derogatory  Responsibility: Individual 

unkown 

Should I dispute this with TU? Should I contact the CA and ask that they delete the item from EX and TU like they agreed to? Should I dispute it with EX who shows it asa current and closed but still a collection account? 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Paid a CA before I knew to get a PFD in writing. TU is reporting as Derogatory. Ex shows paid.

Do not dispute with the CRAs unless it is too old to be on your report.  Disputing should be a last resort and not taken lightly.

Since this is a pay debt the only thing you can do is a GW.

DV the CA.

Message 2 of 6
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Re: Paid a CA before I knew to get a PFD in writing. TU is reporting as Derogatory. Ex shows paid.

So, I shouldn't dispute this through TU?

I figure the only way to get it off EX is to contact the CA and say "hey you said you would remove this if I PIF and I did, please remove it from EX"

You are saying I should DV the CA over the report on TU? They won't be able to prove I owe the debt because it has been paid. Is that going to cause them to remove it or just update it as paid? 

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is a paid account.  By DVing the CA the worst that can happen is it will update to a paid status.  That in itself could lower your score because it will appear new.

Whether the debt is paid or not a CA should be able to validate the account if they still have it in their system.  It could be a hit or miss.  If they can not validate it must be removed.

If you contact the CA and make them mad, they may just update it to paid.  The same CA would be responsible for the account on both the EX and TU CR.

You could dispute it as being paid with the CRA.  It is inaccurate reporting.

It is really up to you which route you take.  My best guestimate is that this account should come off in the next year.

Edited to add.  The fact that it is showing paid and closed but still a collection would be correct.  Just because it is paid does not change anything else.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 02-12-2010 06:22 PM
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I just dont get it.

If you paid the CA, the debt is discharged.  So what can you possibly request validation of?  And even if you did DV, the CA has no obligation to ever respond, and since they have no intent to continue collection on a paid debt,will just throw it in the trashcan.

If you dispute with the CRA under FCRA 611(a), you must dispute the debt.  Since you paid it, that is prima facie evidence of admission of the debt, leaving no ability to dispute the debt.

If the CRA is still reporting the OC acccount which led up to the CA, what is to dispute?

Message 5 of 6
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I just dont get it.

If you paid the CA, the debt is discharged.  So what can you possibly request validation of?  And even if you did DV, the CA has no obligation to ever respond, and since they have no intent to continue collection on a paid debt,will just throw it in the trashcan.

If you dispute with the CRA under FCRA 611(a), you must dispute the debt.  Since you paid it, that is prima facie evidence of admission of the debt, leaving no ability to dispute the debt.

If the CRA is still reporting the OC acccount which led up to the CA, what is to dispute?

They are still reporting it as an unpaid collection. It has been paid. Regardless if they actually delete it as they told me they would they have to at least update it to paid.  

Thats what there is to dispute.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.