Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid collection account reporting as open

tag
floweryu
New Contributor

Paid collection account reporting as open

I had 2 collection with Portfolio Recovery Associates and both of them are paid. However, both of them are reporting as *open*, which is not true. They are also reporting as factoring accounts, which is not true. I am attaching a screenshot. I disputed via CFPB and Portfolio replied by saying that they purchased that debt and that it was paid and that they are providing the correct information (which they are not because they are reporting an open account). What should be my next step?Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 7.46.07 AM.png

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid collection account reporting as open

No, it shows as paid and closed.  It shows the account type as open, which is how AMEX and some other accounts report.  An open account type is not the same as an open account.  And yours shows paid and it shows the date paid.

Message 2 of 9
floweryu
New Contributor

Oh, OK. Thanks for the clarification!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, an "open account" type is an account that is due and payable in full each month - like AmEx charge cards.

Message 4 of 9
floweryu
New Contributor

Any suggestions on what to do? This is definitely not a charge account. It is closed and paid.

Message 5 of 9
EddieK
Established Contributor

Send them a GW letter.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, the term "Open" can also be used to designate a debt type.

Debts can be Revolving (amount due revolves around current debt balance), Installment (fixed payment each billing period), and Open (full amount due upon billing).

When used to desginate a type of debt, it is being used in a totally different context than the status of an account.

HSBC retail cards are revolving, not open, debt types, having an approved credit limit upon which the consumer uses up to that amount at theri discretion.

It is not reporring as a Open account.

Message 7 of 9
floweryu
New Contributor

I finally received the BBB response today and PR replied that they are not a factoring company and that the account should not be reporting as such and that they are initiating investigation. Let's see what happens.

Message 8 of 9
floweryu
New Contributor

I just received a response via BBB:

PRA has reviewed all relevant information, including the information provided by the consumer, we have resolved the complaint (e.g., verified account information with regard to the two relevant accounts and requested that the credit reporting agencies Equifax, Experian and TransUnion delete PRA's trade line for those accounts from their consumer reports) and we have mailed and will be mailing responsive letters which the consumer may expect to receive within seven to ten business days.

It's been a while and I tried several times, but they did delete at the end.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.