cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid collection from 2009... how to proceed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid collection from 2009... how to proceed?

The only negative on my reports is a paid collection from 2009. It was a speeding ticket I got while in Arizona (I lived in California at the time). The officer told me I'd receive payment information in the mail but it never came. What did come 6 months later was a collections notice. I paid it immediately, in full. This one really bugs me because I never received anything from Arizona regarding the ticket. Should I send a GW letter to the CA asking them to stop reporting?  Or should I dispute it to the CRA and hope that the CA doesn't respond? It's about 20 months from falling off my report but I'm hoping to buy a house in about 10 months. This one baddie won't prevent me from getting approved but it might hurt my interest rate and on top of that it bugs me. How should I proceed?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid collection from 2009... how to proceed?

Anyone?

Message 2 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The only negative on my reports is a paid collection from 2009. It was a speeding ticket I got while in Arizona (I lived in California at the time). The officer told me I'd receive payment information in the mail but it never came. What did come 6 months later was a collections notice. I paid it immediately, in full. This one really bugs me because I never received anything from Arizona regarding the ticket. Should I send a GW letter to the CA asking them to stop reporting?  Or should I dispute it to the CRA and hope that the CA doesn't respond? It's about 20 months from falling off my report but I'm hoping to buy a house in about 10 months. This one baddie won't prevent me from getting approved but it might hurt my interest rate and on top of that it bugs me. How should I proceed?

I would contact the collection agency.

Since this is a paid collection from 2009, it might not have an impact on your score even if it was removed from you CR.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It is a major derog, and its impact does decrease with time, but it will affect your scores until it is removed.  I would send a GW to the CA and explain it to them as you have to us.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 10
st789
New Contributor

What is the name of the CA? Maybe someone on here has had success with them.

Message 5 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

My friend had a CO from 2009 removed and It did not not receive a bump in their score after removal.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA is LDC Collection Systems.

Message 7 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The CA is LDC Collection Systems.

If you google LDC Collections you will see there are many complaints filed against them.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that. So does that mean I probably won't get anywhere with them? Should I just dispute it to the CRA or just ignore it until it falls off? 

Message 9 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I noticed that. So does that mean I probably won't get anywhere with them? Should I just dispute it to the CRA or just ignore it until it falls off? 

I would dispute it and explain that you never received the original bill.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.