Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid collection sold to another CA!!

tag
coachb123
Regular Contributor

Paid collection sold to another CA!!

So paid Portfolio recovery in FULL for an old HSBC card I had.  Today I notice that I have a new collection reporting the same amount I paid to Portfolio and lists them as the original creditor.  How the heck can they do that??  How can I get rid of them??

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

Re: Paid collection sold to another CA!!

Contact the CRA. Tell them you want to dispute as you paid the OC. Fax the CRA with, "attn: whoever" with a bank statement showing you paid.

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I've also had to contact the "old" CRA before to get a new letter stating the account was paid in full - they are actually pretty good about it once you've paid them - either way its a pretty simple fix as they are actually violating the law by reporting an invalid debt

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
coachb123
Regular Contributor

Whew............Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would send a direct dispute to the new debt collector, ensuring your supporting information is received, in total, by them

If you use the CRA dispute process, you suffer the inevitable use of their e-OSCAR system, with its inherent failure to foward your supporting documentation.

Did you receive a dunning notice from the new debt collector, as required to have been provided within 5 days of their reporting to the CRA?

In that letter, they are required to identify the current creditor, along with the current amount of the asserted debt.

I would concurrently send the new debt collector a DV letter, asking for the name of both the OC and the current credtior, along with verification of the amount of the asserted debt.

That will also impose an immediate cease collection bar on them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.