Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid collections / judgement help please

Hi....

have the following PAID collections on my reports:

Midland Credit - July 09
New Century Financial - Dec 07

How do I go about getting them removed?

New Century turned into Pressler and pressler judgment. That is showing paid also. New Century and Pressler have both refused to delete when I tried Goodwill, and Judgment came back as verified with EX dispute. Haven't tried other reports.

Midland Credit - read on here that they will not verify disputes if they are paid. Is this correct? SHould I dispute iwth CRA's? If so on what basis? Also if I do dispute and it comes back verified will that have any impact on my scores due to date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In past year have gone from 530's to 630's and I wanna keep going higher. :)

Many Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid collections / judgement help please

Maybe it will help some if you can clarrify some information.

Which are judgements?

Which are collections?

Which are just late payments?

Judgements have to be vacated and done through the court system. Collections that have been paid can be GW'ed (wish more learned about dealing with collections before making payments) if they don't respond to your GW or respond saying no, be persistent and keep trying. Late payments caught up and paying as agreed can be GW'ed.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, but if you read my message I think it is very clear.

Everything is paid and I have put the dates there too.

You are telling me to Goodwill but I stated that I tried that with the New Century / Pressler collection and judgment and tehy flat out said no. Tried with about 5 different people.

The Midland, I read that they don't respond to disputes on Paid items. SHould I just dispute this with CRA's? and if so for what reason would I state?

Also on line dispute OK?

If anyone has similar experience or could offer any assistance?

Any advise would be appreciaied. 

Message 3 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Being paid or not paid is not the issue.

The issue is you mentioned judgement.

If you have a judgement, the judgement must be paid (as you stated you did), then you have to make an attempt to have the judgement vacated. Having it vacated must be done through the courts.

If what is paid is a collection, the CA does not have to remove accurate reporting information. The reason for GW letters is to hope that some one will listen to your plea's and help you. Even if they have told you NO 100 times, all you can do is keep trying. If you can find some one higher up in the CA company Vice president, President, and or CEO in company try GW'ing to them with their names on the address envelope. Maybe some one higher up in the company will be more then happy to help you. This is always a hard thing to have done after payment has been made. Also the reason why it is always best to ask for deletion before making a payment. 

Maybe some one will have some great tips on how to move forward, just don't give up.

Persistence is key.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, but if you read my message I think it is very clear.

Everything is paid and I have put the dates there too.

You are telling me to Goodwill but I stated that I tried that with the New Century / Pressler collection and judgment and tehy flat out said no. Tried with about 5 different people.

The Midland, I read that they don't respond to disputes on Paid items. SHould I just dispute this with CRA's? and if so for what reason would I state?

Also on line dispute OK?

If anyone has similar experience or could offer any assistance?

Any advise would be appreciaied. 

The judgment creditor generally has no ability ot have ajudgment removed from your credit reports.

As previously stated, you have to go back to the court that issued the judgment and ask them to vacate the judgment.  If the court decides to vacate the judgment, then you can get the credit bureaus to remove it.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you pay a CA, what is left to dispute?  It is kinda tough to go back to a debt collection, with implied admission of obligation for the debt by your actual payment of the debt, and then argue, after the fact, that you now want to dispute it?  IF the debt was accurate at the time they reported theri collection, then their credtit reproting of their collection activity on the debt was accurate.

I see no basis for a dispute with the CRA under FCRA 611(a), or a direct dispute with the debt collector under FCRA 623(a)(8), for inaccurate prior reporting.

Your path is seeking their good-will in agreeing to an after-the-fact CR deletion.  That is totally optional on their part.

The more you hit them with disputes and challenges, I would suspect that might lessen a feeling of good-will on their part.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgements are court orders.  They are not reported to the CRAs by the creditor or CA.  As stated previously, the ONLY way a judgement can be removed is by going to court and getting it vacated.  No amount of GW'ing will help because the CA can't do anything about it.

In general, there are 3 ways to get a judgement vacated:

1) If you can prove that either the debt was not yours, that you were served improperly or that some other procedure was not followed correctly, you can file a motion to vacate on those grounds.  Most states have time limits for how long after the judgement is issued that you have to file a motion to vacate.  You're probably past that.  And you have to be prepared to explain to the judge why you did not appear in court.

2) In some very rare cases, you can file a motion to vacate on the grounds that the debt is paid.  Generally speaking this means that you paid the debt PRIOR to the judgement beign issued.  However, occassionally a judge may grant your motion if your paid after the judgement.  Not very likely, but it does happen once in a while.

3) You can ask whoever filed the motion for judgement if they would please reopen the case.  If they were to do so, they could then file to dismiss and the judgement is vacated automatically.  This is easier to do when you are negotiating payoff since it's a leverage peice they can use to ensure you pay and pay the full amount.

In any case, it involves going to court.  For that, you should consult an attorney. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.