cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid debt that shouldn't have been sent to collection.

tag
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Paid debt that shouldn't have been sent to collection.

Hey guys. So I switched phone lines two years ago when I moved from Texas back to Massachusetts. Long story short the change sent me to a different division within AT&T so I never received my last bill for my old account and didn't know I owed any money. Anyway one day my phone shuts off so I call and that say I owe 75 dollars. I paid right away and was less than happy that they never informed me of this. So about 4 months later I get a collection notice for this debt. I called AT&T who confirmed it was not in collection and paid and gave me a number to have the debt collector call. I did this, the debt collector out me on hold while he checked, came back on and apologized profusely for the mistake and said everything would be deleted. So it never showed on my reports and everything was all good.
Well today I got a notice from a company out of Michigan saying a debt had recently been placed with them for 75 dollars for AT&T and I could settle now for 35 dollars. I really don't even want to go through the hassle of calling ATT again to resolve this but it would be quicker than a DV letter. I'm certain this debt was sold to them from the last collector so my question is how do I make sure this debt goes away and does not end up resold once I tell the collector they have an invalid debt?
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid debt that shouldn't have been sent to collection.

Send a DV to the collection agency... If they DV the debt, it shouldn't be back on your credit.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.