cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid down balances and got a 39 pt jump!

tag
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Paid down balances and got a 39 pt jump!

Went from a 565 to 604. I paid capital one down to 500 from $907 ($1000 limit) and paid orchard down to $83 from $350 ($400 limit). 

the due date for orchard with the 400 dollar limit was feb 23rd and the cap one with the 1000 limit was due on the 28th. so I'm not sure if this jump was from just orchard or from both cards. My credit karma only has my new balance with orchard. It hasn't updated with the new capital one balance. I was just wondering but I'm guessing since it's such a big jump  that it might be from both cards being paid down. I'm going to wait a couple days to purchase my new report.

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paid down balances and got a 39 pt jump!

Congrats!!!

Message 2 of 19
westo12
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the jump!! Smiley Happy

If I can add ONE thing?  I recommend NOT buying a new report.  You get weekly updates for free from CK, you can get free ones from CreditSesame, or Quizzle also.

Looking back over my journey from 18 negatives in the last 5 years down to one (still so far to go!), I wish I'd not spent so much money on reports and scores, just out of sheer curiosity.  I'd put that money towards your debt and just use the free tools to gauge where you are in the rebuilding process.  THEN, when you go to buy a car or house where it truly matters, I'd then pull the report.  

Just my unsolicited two cents. Smiley Happy  

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 3 of 19
OneDay_750
Frequent Contributor

+1. Congrats on the score boost.

CURRENT SCORES: EQ: 628 (12/14/14); TU: 628 (12/10/14); EX: 636 (12/13/14)--All myFICO
STARTING myFICO EQ SCORE:: 507 (11/2013); GOAL SCORE: 700--(All CRAs); GARDENING SINCE: 10/5/14
Message 4 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@HigherFico wrote:

Went from a 565 to 604. I paid capital one down to 500 from $907 ($1000 limit) and paid orchard down to $83 from $350 ($400 limit). 

the due date for orchard with the 400 dollar limit was feb 23rd and the cap one with the 1000 limit was due on the 28th. so I'm not sure if this jump was from just orchard or from both cards. My credit karma only has my new balance with orchard. It hasn't updated with the new capital one balance. I was just wondering but I'm guessing since it's such a big jump  that it might be from both cards being paid down. I'm going to wait a couple days to purchase my new report.

Grats Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

@westo12 wrote:

Congratulations on the jump!! Smiley Happy

If I can add ONE thing?  I recommend NOT buying a new report.  You get weekly updates for free from CK, you can get free ones from CreditSesame, or Quizzle also.

Looking back over my journey from 18 negatives in the last 5 years down to one (still so far to go!), I wish I'd not spent so much money on reports and scores, just out of sheer curiosity.  I'd put that money towards your debt and just use the free tools to gauge where you are in the rebuilding process.  THEN, when you go to buy a car or house where it truly matters, I'd then pull the report.  

Just my unsolicited two cents. Smiley Happy  

Okay, that does make a lot of sense. It is just curiosity after all.

thanks for the congrats everyone. I need to send out some more GW letter because they have not been working. I'm also going to give in and pay premier bank card. I'm just trying to decide if I should settle. I already have one account settled and that won't look so good if I have another account that has been settled. 

Message 6 of 19
westo12
Established Contributor

I also will add that I bet the increase is from both reports. Cap One handles Orchard Bank now, and they report fairly quickly after the statement cuts. Using the dates you show, I'm confident that they both have had statements cut since those dates and they usually report my two CapOne accounts (one was an old OB), within 2 days of that. 

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Message 7 of 19
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Oh ok thanks. I wonder why my oringinal cap one didn't report in credit karma yet? I'm glad for the jump though. I'm going to pay a lot this month to get my utilization down to 9%. Hopefully I get a similar jump since my original cap one is pretty much at 50%.

Message 8 of 19
westo12
Established Contributor

Make sure to pay that OB in full so it reports a $0 balance, then put the rest of your money on the Cap1. If those are your only two cc's, then you will get more points that way.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Message 9 of 19
WaterOverFire
Established Member

Take CreditKarma with a grain of salt. Yes it should be close and give you a ballpark but not in all cases.... I paid off an account and my score jumped from 580 to 673 on CK. I was skeptical and I pulled my own report from TU (since CK claims it's the TU score).......I got a 574. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.