New Visitor

Paid judgement

I have a judgement from 2002, that they garnished my wages for, and consequently it is paid, and I did get a letter from the creditor that it had been paid, however, I have not filed this with the court like it said to do.  I am wondering if I filed the paperwork with the court (that it has been paid), if this will raise my score or hurt it, it's almost six years old now, maybe I should just leave it alone?  Any suggestions would be most helpful.  Oh also, my husband and I will be applying for a mortgage in less than 4 months, so I really can't take the chance to drop my score.
Thanks for any advice!!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid judgement

Cgjsamhouse wrote:
I have a judgement from 2002, that they garnished my wages for, and consequently it is paid, and I did get a letter from the creditor that it had been paid, however, I have not filed this with the court like it said to do.  I am wondering if I filed the paperwork with the court (that it has been paid), if this will raise my score or hurt it, it's almost six years old now, maybe I should just leave it alone?  Any suggestions would be most helpful.  Oh also, my husband and I will be applying for a mortgage in less than 4 months, so I really can't take the chance to drop my score.
Thanks for any advice!!!!

I'm not certain on judgements, so bear with me.

I personally would not risk entering the paid judgement at this time, since it would update your credit report and make it look like a recent derog. Your mortgage broker will probably request that it be paid, so since it is, keep your paperwork handy to show him/her.

New Contributor

Re: Paid judgement

I would not file it with the court.  BUT I would hold onto it, and give it to your loan officer to prove to him, that it was paid.  If it is having a neg impact on your score, then he could submidt it to the bureaus and do a "Rapid Rescore".  I would talk to your lender about it.

Good luck!  Happy house hunting!  My husband and I will be in the market about the same time as you.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.