Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid medical collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid medical collections

I recently paid off several medical bills, some through the OC and some through the CA. I did not know at the time that I paid them off I could ask that they possibly be deleted, wish I had found this forum sooner! My question is, now that I have already paid them off is there anything that I can do to get them deleted? They are all still reporting but now showing paid collection as the status. Does the fact that they are now paid help my credit?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid medical collections

There is a HIPPA process that some people have used to get medical collections removed from their reports.    Just google "hippa process to remove collections" for more information.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know if the fact that they are now paid but still showing is hurting my scores?

Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know if the fact that they are now paid but still showing is hurting my scores?

Yes ~ either as paid or unpaid they will ding your FICO scores equally.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 10
01mommy
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently paid off several medical bills, some through the OC and some through the CA. I did not know at the time that I paid them off I could ask that they possibly be deleted, wish I had found this forum sooner! My question is, now that I have already paid them off is there anything that I can do to get them deleted? They are all still reporting but now showing paid collection as the status. Does the fact that they are now paid help my credit?

I had the same situation, but many hospital billing depts will delete once they're paid.  Contact the OC directly and ask if they will have it removed, and if not, ask who you might contact to appeal. A lot of people have medical bills due to lapses in coverage, no coverage, accidents, whatever and hospitals really don't have a vested interest in making things bad for you especially after you've already paid them.  One of my medical collections collections was a $250 copay and I simply explained the situation and they said as soon as it's paid they'll notify the CA remove it...no hassles! Good luck!!

Starting Score: 564 on 3/15/12
Current Score: 665 on 7/14/12
Goal Score: 675 by 9/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will contact the OC's to see if that is something that they are willing to do!

Message 6 of 10
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

Who are the CA's?

Message 7 of 10
Charla
Established Member

I'm literally in tears right now because this just worked for me. I talked to the most caring  account manager at the Hospital and she went out of her way to help me get these items deleted. She called the CA and asked them to remove my baddies. I'm in tears because these are my only clollections and they will be removed!!!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 619 TU 651
Current Score: EQ 681 to 700! TU 704 to 758!!
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 10
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I just paid off a $75 medical collection that was like a year old. I called back a couple weeks later asking that they delete it since its paid and she said she cant since it was a valid debt. ???? I have 3 other small medical collections, All under $180. If I could get them paid and deleted I would be sooooo grateful!

Message 9 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Wow!!  Love to hear good news, especially on a Monday.   Congrats to you!!!!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.