Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid medical debt - GW letter worked!

tag
Charla
Established Member

Paid medical debt - GW letter worked!

I have/had a mix of 4 medical debts from two different CA's on my credit reports. The CA's are local creditors and the debts are all from the same hospital. Experian is the only report that listed all 4 line items. TU and Equifax only listed 3.

I sent a goodwill email to both CA's. I received a call the next day from the first agency stating that they would delete these 2 items as a onetime courtesy. I was stunned that my goodwill letter actually workedSmiley Very Happy  I verified 2 weeks later on my Experian report and these 2 line items have been deleted.

Well, the other agency didn't respond to my email, so I faxed the GW letter. I received a call that same day stating that they could not delete the account because it was valid yadda, yadda...  In her records she stated that it shows that I paid the hospital directly but that they tried to contact me for 2 months. So, I just said thank you and that was the end of that. So now I still have 2 paid medical collections on Experian and Equifax. 

Ironically, Transunion deleted all of the collections after a DV letter was sent through a credit repair service. I cancelled the service after I realized that I could dispute these items myself for free

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the remaining medical debt? The amounts are so small $54 and $102. I don't understand why the CA is so intent on keeping these items on my Credit report. I'm a little nervous about the Hippa letter.  Anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?  

Starting Score: EQ 619 TU 651
Current Score: EQ 681 to 700! TU 704 to 758!!
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Charla
Established Member

Re: Paid medical debt - GW letter worked!

Since I paid the OC directly for the 2 medical collections, can I still use the HIPPA process? Should I obtain proof that I paid the hospital before starting the HIPPA process? I'm so confused and don't want to make things worse. I just read on another board that the HIPPA process won't work if you paid the CA. Is this true?

Please help! Any advice is appreciated. is the first letter in the process called the "Dispute Letter"?

Starting Score: EQ 619 TU 651
Current Score: EQ 681 to 700! TU 704 to 758!!
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.