cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off OC and CA won't remove or update what they are reporting.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off OC and CA won't remove or update what they are reporting.

I am helping my fiance clean up and build his credit and to start we have tackled two collection accounts (both being reported by the same company) with the OC being Comcast. We went directly to Comcast to ask about any balance we had to pay and they said NO. So we sent the CA a DV letter and they mailed me back two letters with account numbers which I then took back to Comcast and they were now all of a sudden able to pull up his accounts. Granted, they were from when he lived in another state. We paid the balances in full ($90 and $230) and got receipts. I then returned the form the CA had mailed me with a check mark int he box for 'debt paid to OC' and copies of the receipts via certified mail. This was a couple weeks back.

I called the CA yesterday and they confirmed having received my mail, and said they have "updated the credit bureaus". I said well you are still reporting the debt to his credit report, the debt is no longer valid, can you please remove it? And they said "we do not and cannot remove anything from credit reports". 

I did all this by recommendation of my realtor who is working with us and the mortgage company to try and get us into our first home. We need to bring my fiance's score up to a 620-640 and right now he's hovering around a 619. My realtor told me to call back, ask for a supervisor, and threaten to report the CA to the CFPB / sue them for not removing this baddie off his report. I don't feel comfortable doing this, but he says it will work. Any advice?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off OC and CA won't remove or update what they are reporting.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am helping my fiance clean up and build his credit and to start we have tackled two collection accounts (both being reported by the same company) with the OC being Comcast. We went directly to Comcast to ask about any balance we had to pay and they said NO. So we sent the CA a DV letter and they mailed me back two letters with account numbers which I then took back to Comcast and they were now all of a sudden able to pull up his accounts. Granted, they were from when he lived in another state. We paid the balances in full ($90 and $230) and got receipts. I then returned the form the CA had mailed me with a check mark int he box for 'debt paid to OC' and copies of the receipts via certified mail. This was a couple weeks back.

I called the CA yesterday and they confirmed having received my mail, and said they have "updated the credit bureaus". I said well you are still reporting the debt to his credit report, the debt is no longer valid, can you please remove it? And they said "we do not and cannot remove anything from credit reports". 

I did all this by recommendation of my realtor who is working with us and the mortgage company to try and get us into our first home. We need to bring my fiance's score up to a 620-640 and right now he's hovering around a 619. My realtor told me to call back, ask for a supervisor, and threaten to report the CA to the CFPB / sue them for not removing this baddie off his report. I don't feel comfortable doing this, but he says it will work. Any advice?

You need to ask the OC to recall the debt from the CA. They are still allowed to report that collection activity occurred. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

When requesting this to the OC would it be better to do it via phone or letter? 

Message 3 of 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

The OC can't recall a debt after its been paid. The CA is only required to update the account to paid with a zero balance. GW letters to the CA is the next step.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.