cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off account, now my score dropped 10 points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off account, now my score dropped 10 points?

@Anonymous wrote:
DEFINITION of 'FICO Score' A type of credit score that makes up a substantial portion of the credit report that lenders use to assess an applicant's credit risk and whether to extend a loan. FICO is an acronym for the Fair Isaac Corporation, the creators of the FICO score.

Why would creditors want to extend a loan to someone who won't make them money? I'm just sayin' that the reason your score drops from never carrying a balance is that you're not a "profitable" consumer. I just took a hit because I paid off my car loan. Never paid late in 24 months...but paying the loan dinged me. It will probably go up again the next time I have an installment loan, but the only reason I can reckon to penalize consumers for carrying little debt is because it shows they aren't money makers for the lenders. 

IMO, it's a racket. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah but hey why not pay $2 a month in interest to keep 10 points on your credit report. Because that's basically what you are doing.

If you pay it the day after it reports there is usually no interest charge AT ALL. Only the predatory lenders like Credit One charge daily interest on all balances.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
DEFINITION of 'FICO Score' A type of credit score that makes up a substantial portion of the credit report that lenders use to assess an applicant's credit risk and whether to extend a loan. FICO is an acronym for the Fair Isaac Corporation, the creators of the FICO score.

Why would creditors want to extend a loan to someone who won't make them money? I'm just sayin' that the reason your score drops from never carrying a balance is that you're not a "profitable" consumer. I just took a hit because I paid off my car loan. Never paid late in 24 months...but paying the loan dinged me. It will probably go up again the next time I have an installment loan, but the only reason I can reckon to penalize consumers for carrying little debt is because it shows they aren't money makers for the lenders. 

IMO, it's a racket. 

That it is, my friend, that it is.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

See I understand carrying a balance.
but what I don't understand is why after showing you paid a loan for 24 months and pay it off you take a hit.
The 24 months should matter showing your responsibility to pay loans. At least for some months or years ahead. Not the fact that you're not currently paying on a loan.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
See I understand carrying a balance.
but what I don't understand is why after showing you paid a loan for 24 months and pay it off you take a hit.
The 24 months should matter showing your responsibility to pay loans. At least for some months or years ahead. Not the fact that you're not currently paying on a loan.

Thats largely because its not based on what 'makes sense', its based almost entirely on statistical modeling - very COMPLEX statistical modeling. But it also seems to have a bit of 'incentivization' built into it - hence slightly better scores for carrying a small balance, and maintaining an installment loan, and keeping accounts open and active for long periods of time.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.