Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off medical collection QUESTION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off medical collection QUESTION

I found a medical collection on my credit report for $89 - the office visit was about 6 years ago but the collections just appeared about 16 months ago.

I reached out to the healthcare provider, verified that the amount was indeed correct and then paid it (directly to the provider, NOT to the collections agency).  

I asked the provider to please remove or recall the collections from my credit report and the guy I was speaking with just kept repeating variations of, "we report to the collections agency every Friday, after you pay we will stop reporting to them."

Sure enough, the collections entry hasn't been updated since the previous Friday, but it has been about 3 weeks and I'd like to get that entry removed.  What's the best and/or quickest way to go about it?

Thanks,

Al

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off medical collection QUESTION

If the bill was from about 6 years ago, I'd leave it. It will fall off soon enough. Get a copy of the bill from the doctor showing the date, and if it hasn't fallen off 7 years + 1 month from that date, I'd dispute using that bill as evidence.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will if it comes to that, but I'd rather have it off sooner - I'm buying rental properties and it's affecting my buying ability, so looking for a quicker way.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I will if it comes to that, but I'd rather have it off sooner - I'm buying rental properties and it's affecting my buying ability, so looking for a quicker way.

You can call the provider and ask them to call the CA and ask that their TL be removed. From the way you described the call when you paid them directly it doesnt indicate they agreed to recall the CA so it can report as a paid collection. Another way to go at it is to send the reporting CA a good will letter asking for removal of their TL.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.