cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off my cc. Where's my score increase?

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Paid off my cc. Where's my score increase?

I just paid 1 of my cc's down to 0 and the statement cut on the 8th. Normally, I'd get an update 1-2 days later. It's now the 4th day.

Could it be because it's only 4 months old? 2 of my other cards are still @ max &  the other is @ 50%. AAoA is 2 years.

I really thought I'd see something by now. Even a notification that my balance has changed.

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Paid off my cc. Where's my score increase?

If they have not updated the balance yet then you won't see any change with the score.  

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have found that some creditors are slow to report when your balance is zero.  I paid off several accounts to zero in Dec 2014 and a couple of the creditors decided to not report the zero balance to my credit report in Jan 2015.   I actually had to call in to the creditor to get them to update the accounts with the CRBs. The creditors that decided to skip reporting for Jan were all Synchrony Bank backed. What is the TL you paid to zero?

Also some creditors report every month, but the report is for your balance from two months ago (60 day lag time).

I mention this because if you are looking to increase your score, sometimes it takes a couple of months to get all the reporting done correctly.

Edit:  When I called in to have the reporting corrected, the creditor said they are under no obligation to report each and every month to the CRBs! That one was a surprise to me. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. It's 1 of my Cap 1 cards. I have never had a problem since opening either Cap 1 card as far as them reporting... I've gotten every alert from them no more than 3 ays after they report.

I got the alert from EQ & TU on 2/12. Still waiting on EX, though. It's now the 14th.... 6 days later.

But the alert from TU says it came 2/11. I didn't receive the text until 2/12 from either, though.

i blame myfico.

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed on my report that my C.C. company reports around the 20th of the month, 7 days after my payment is due.  I would give it some time, I think it has to do with the billing cycle and it being paid before the due date?

Message 5 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

No, Cap 1 reports after your statement comes out. That card's statement came out 2/8

Message 6 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I have found that some creditors are slow to report when your balance is zero.  I paid off several accounts to zero in Dec 2014 and a couple of the creditors decided to not report the zero balance to my credit report in Jan 2015.   I actually had to call in to the creditor to get them to update the accounts with the CRBs. The creditors that decided to skip reporting for Jan were all Synchrony Bank backed. What is the TL you paid to zero?

Also some creditors report every month, but the report is for your balance from two months ago (60 day lag time).

I mention this because if you are looking to increase your score, sometimes it takes a couple of months to get all the reporting done correctly.

Edit:  When I called in to have the reporting corrected, the creditor said they are under no obligation to report each and every month to the CRBs! That one was a surprise to me. Smiley Frustrated

Yup, this is true they are not under any obligation to report every month or to ever report. In the 80s and early 90s creditors used to only update to the CRAs every 3 months this reporting of info every month is relatively new in the credit world. Im pretty sure the reporting every month scenario was devised by them to stem losses as all the sudden CLDs and closures we read about in the credit forum attest to.

Message 7 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

But if they have been reporting to all 3 regularly, why would they all of a sudden exclude Experian? My equifax & transunion updated, but still nothing from experian. Hoping for a change tomorrow morning.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbishop1001 wrote:

I just paid 1 of my cc's down to 0 and the statement cut on the 8th. Normally, I'd get an update 1-2 days later. It's now the 4th day.

Could it be because it's only 4 months old?@ 2 of my other cards are still @ max@ &  the other is @ 50%. AAoA is 2 years.

I really thought I'd see something by now. Even a notification that my balance has changed.

You won't see much increase from UTI% until ALL of your cards are out of the max range.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.