Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking tickets error driving me NUTS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Parking tickets error driving me NUTS

I live near DC and went through a period where parking tickets where my friend in DC. I paid dearly for that since my car was booted two years ago and I had to pay off all the unpaid tickets plus a boot fee. This all came to 2k. Anyhow DC has collection agency. Part of DC contract with the firm is once it is paid it is deleted (city counsil mandated). Anyhow when I pulled my report I realized that I had 4 accounts from the idiots at professional associates on my TU. These were all paid with the boot. I even check the DC system and they do not list the tickets as being owed. So I called the credit agency. You own use nearly 400. Umm no I don't. I explained multi times. The woman on the phone explained that DC just send a bulk check without account numbers and the credit agency decides how to apply it. I am pretty sure they added a cut or fees. She says she is moving it to a supervisor. So I wait a few days and call DC. The dc folks you don't owe us for tickets before 2013 you paid them all. Me I know can you please tell the collection agency this. DC woman I am sending you an email with the accounts paid and talking to my boss. Of course no email came in. I have already spent 1 and half hours on this (each call took 45 mins) and so far NO ONE is doing what they promise.

And I don't owe them this money since I ALREADY paid it. SO pissed since each ticket shows as a collection account. Any advice ? Anyone deal with collections that report for tickets.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Parking tickets error driving me NUTS

I would just file a complaint with the CFPB for improper credit reporting, state the facts on your complaint and ask for the deletion that the law allows.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My worry is that the collection agency still has a lost of the tickets that were paid as unpaid and the reporting agencies will not contact the city of DC (the orginal creditor) to verfiy that they have been paid. So I am worried they will just reaffrim the debt. And there is no way I am paying these again. Is it likley that if they contact the collection agency that they will just reaffirm the debt based on their messed up records ?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Before filing a complaint with the CFPB, you should first exercise your dispute rights and obtain an investigation of your asserted inaccuracy by way of a formal dispute through the CRA or a direct dispute sent to the debt collector.  That requires a reasonable investigation and finding on their part wihin the 30ísh day dispute period.

Documentation of inaccuracy would be evidence of payment on your part, such as a money order receipt, which should accompany your dispute.

With showing of payment, they were obligated to prompntly update the collection balance to $0.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the line item in my checking account for 2k that covered all the parking tickets and the boot fee. And when I talked to DC they said you paid all tickets before 2013. Do you have draft langauge for the letter to both DC and the collection agency? Maybe I should also send a copy of the letter to the BBB?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.