Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay For Delete Not Deleted, What Now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay For Delete Not Deleted, What Now?

I paid the OC and goodwill the CA who were the only ones showing up on report. After a lot of struggle the CA sent me a delete letter on company letterhead. How long should I wait for the delete, it's been almost a month. Are there any next steps I should take being that I have this letter, should I approach the CRA with it and will it help or hurt and if so what do I say?

I know and understand that no one is obigated to do anything. I am just trying to do all I can to get these removed so that I may move forward in the right direction. Please help. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: Pay For Delete Not Deleted, What Now?

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid the OC and goodwill the CA who were the only ones showing up on report. After a lot of struggle the CA sent me a delete letter on company letterhead. How long should I wait for the delete, it's been almost a month. Are there any next steps I should take being that I have this letter, should I approach the CRA with it and will it help or hurt and if so what do I say?

I know and understand that no one is obigated to do anything. I am just trying to do all I can to get these removed so that I may move forward in the right direction. Please help. Thanks.

Maybe wait 1 more month and if after that still no deletion send in proof of letter and agreement with dispute and it should be deleted within 30 days after that.It depends on when they report.One Thing for sure they are never in a hurry to update file.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Filing a dispute is not, in my opinion, the proper procedure.

The proper procedure, should they not follow thru, depends upon whether the promised deletiion resulted from a good wll promise or a PFD negotiation.

CRA policy, as clearly stated in their credit reporting manual and agreements, is that furnishers are NOT to delete their reporting based on payment of the debt.

There is no inaccuracy in the reported collection that would form the basis for a proper dispute of lack of deletion.

The CRA could simply dismiss any dispute as lacking any assertion of inaccuracy in reporting.

Involving the CRA in the requested deletion is asking them to delete for a reason that is directly contrary to their official policy.

It notifies them that the furnisher is acting contrary to their credit reporting agreement.

If the furnisher enters agreement to delete as a condition of payment of the debt (i.e., a PFD agreement), you have an enforceable contract that you can pursue via threat to take civil aciton for breach of oral or written contract.  The CRA dispute process is not appropriate.

If the furnisher agrees to an after the fact good will deletion, their agreement will likely not be considered a contract, as the consumer is offering nothing of value that would make the agreement an enforceable contract.  It is a good will gesture that you would continue to pursue on that basis, and not as an enforceable contract.

A complaint to the BBB asserting poor business practice on their part by not honoring their commitment would, in my opinion, be the extent of action.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for that response to you both. I guess I will wait it out until the full 30 days and then if they don't I will proceed with the BBB. Makes sense.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.