Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Off Loan or On-Time Payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay Off Loan or On-Time Payments

Quick question...

I recently totalled my vehicle and still owe $7000 on it, in the mean time I went out and paid cash for a new vehicle to avoid high interest rates. My question is, should I pay that loan off to lower my credit utilization? or should i continue to make the payments and increase my on time payments? There are some 30 day lates on there. 

I'm currently about 30% utilization. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay Off Loan or On-Time Payments

An auto loan isn't calculated in your UTI.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question...

I recently totalled my vehicle and still owe $7000 on it, in the mean time I went out and paid cash for a new vehicle to avoid high interest rates. My question is, should I pay that loan off to lower my credit utilization? or should i continue to make the payments and increase my on time payments? There are some 30 day lates on there. 

Thanks!

If you can pay it off, do so. There are better ways of using an installment loan to boost your scores.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question...

Thanks!

If you can save interest by paying it off then it may be worth it also do you have any other installment loans. Paying off your only installment would likely drop your score. Regardless of what was posted concerning installment loans and utilization FICO takes all trade lines into account for utilization in scoring. Installment loans are in a separate category from revolving accounts but their balance to original amount borrowed is factored into you scores but with less effect.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. This will be my only installment loan. I do however have a secured card and barclays card open.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.