Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay a chargeoff?

tag
kezia2410
Regular Contributor

Pay a chargeoff?

I have a charge off listed on my credit from 2009 and I am thinking about paying it.  I sent a PFD and they responded with a letter agreeing to settle for less than the total amount but they will not delete. My question is if I pay the acct and can get them to update it to paid in full will that help me or hurt me? I am looking to qualify for a mortgage soon and my mid score is at a 617 and I am tryin to boost my scores.  

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay a chargeoff?

@kezia2410 wrote:

I have a charge off listed on my credit from 2009 and I am thinking about paying it.  I sent a PFD and they responded with a letter agreeing to settle for less than the total amount but they will not delete. My question is if I pay the acct and can get them to update it to paid in full will that help me or hurt me? I am looking to qualify for a mortgage soon and my mid score is at a 617 and I am tryin to boost my scores.  

Thanks!!!

Take the offer even though its going to hit you in the short term when the DOLA comes current; you will be required to pay it off prior to closing anyway and if they get a whiff of you apping for a mortgage all bets are off for a discounted deal.

Message 2 of 5
kezia2410
Regular Contributor

So you are saying that I will see a drop in score before I see an increase??

The lender I was working with told me I don't need to pay it and it won't affect the loan. But I need to get a few more points and I would also like to pay off all the negative on my acct. I only have 2 neg accts left...this charge off and a medical from 2011 which I sent a PFD for also.
Message 3 of 5
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Paid in full vs settled won't make a bit of difference in FICO scoring. You may experience a increase in FICO due to decreased utilization from a $0 balance reporting, but yymv. It is a common experience to have a score decrease initially. 

I also have a CO from 2009 and in my case, my EQ FICO dropped 10 points from the CO reporting $0 balance/settled. However, it did help me get instant approvals for CCs that I didn't otherwise get while it was unpaid.

For the purposes of your mortgage, if your lender is not requiring you to settle it may not be in your best interest to pay, especially since you are likely a score decrease initially. However, if you do decide to settle, only settle for no more than 50% of the balance. Try to negotiate even less than that. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you satisfy the debt, you are not "paying the charge-off."

Taking and reporting of a CO relates to a prior accounting action they took, which is unaffected by later status of the debt, whether paid or unpaid.

It stays unless they choose to delete.

However, in my opinion, regardless of any credit scoring implications (or lack thereof), there is a huge benefit to paying a debt after it was charged to profit and loss.

Reporting a CO is, for all practical purposes with respect to the consumer, placement in their file of the very derogatory statement that you are expected to stiff the entire debt.  Not a very favorable factor in a future manual review by other creditors.

By paying, you show that you do pay debt when able.

It negates much of the negative connotation attached to a charge-off, which says you are expected to pay nothing.

If settled for less, there is less mitigation, as they can then report that you did not pay the entire debt you obligated.

Better than remaining as showing no payment, but settled for less still represents statement by the creditor that they took a loss by lending to you.

It is always best for future credit impact to pay a debt after CO, and if you do, to avoid the special comment of paid/settled for less.

If you settle and get their agreement not to report paid/settled for less, your CR will then appear the same as if the debt had been paid in full.  It is the next best thing to getting a PFD.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.