cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay cc's off vs. On Time ~ which will raise your credit rating higher?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay cc's off vs. On Time ~ which will raise your credit rating higher?

I only have 2 credit cards and the balance on those together are less than $1k but my credit is low b/c I have a history of not making my payments on time.  I am now in the position to where I can afford to get things on the right track and start making my payments on time.  Would it be better to just pay them off in full or should I set up an automatic payment every month on these cards?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pmarti8
Valued Member

Re: Pay cc's off vs. On Time ~ which will raise your credit rating higher?

From what I know of the FICO scoring it weighs heavily how you handle your revolving debt , credit cards.  How close to the limit are you on the two cards? Nothing but time and a history of on time payments will fix the late payments but if you want to immediately help your score and your cards are close to the limit pay them down and leave a very little balance.  Lower the utilization to under 30% will definitely help your score.  If you can lower it to under 15% even better.

Charge no more than 10% of the limit each month and pay it in full.  Not only will this save you money in interest but if you continue to make on time payments for a year you should see you effect of those late payments diminish.  You can even try goodwilling the CC company to remove the late remarks.  Good luck.

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

30% of your credit score is CC utilization % and 35% is payment history.

As the previous poster said, paying off your cards (pay all off, except leave one with less than 9%) will give you a large and immediate boost. Some people who have had close to 100% util have seen as much as 100-120 point increase, but that varies for each person based on your individual credit profile.

Unfortunately, the 35% that's based on payment history takes time ot improve. Making all payments on time slowly, will give you small increases over time, but they will be very gradual.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have 2 credit cards and the balance on those together are less than $1k but my credit is low b/c I have a history of not making my payments on time.  I am now in the position to where I can afford to get things on the right track and start making my payments on time.  Would it be better to just pay them off in full or should I set up an automatic payment every month on these cards?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For the quickest score increase, paying them down all at once would work best.  Then leave one at 0 and let the other report a 9% balance or less.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.