cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay credit card in full?

tag
Sunnysd

Pay credit card in full?

I am just beginning the credit repair journey. I only have one credit card so far. I had a 20% balance that I paid in full and then my score immediately dropped 15-20 points across my credit reports after my zero balance. I didn't know that could be a problem. Now My utilization is 5%. My score went up as soon as the charge reported. Maybe they didn't like the zero balance? Should I pay it in full or leave a tiny balance? My only concern is my Fico score. Thanks in advance for your help. This is all new to me. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay credit card in full?

Honestly, with 1 card it doesn't matter. If it reports a balance you get penalized for having all your cards reporting a balance and if you pay in full you get penalized for having no cards reporting a balance. Keep the card under 9% utilization and in time your scores will go up. What are your scores currently?
Message 2 of 5
Sunnysd

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it!

Transunion 592
Equifax 536 (was 576 before paying)
Experian 604

I have been thinking about getting a secured card. Maybe that would help so that I would have two cards reporting? I am also looking into getting an SSL through Alliant.
Message 3 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

What cards do you have now? You'll get the penalty until you have at least 3 cards with 1 reporting a small balance (under 9% of that card's limit for optimization) because there's a penalty for having half (or more) of your cards reporting a balance. I didn't mention that earlier because it didn't apply with you having 1 card. Having ano instalment loan will also help your scores because of the credit mix.
Message 4 of 5
Sunnysd

My only card is a Capital One platinum that I have had since 2011. It has always been in good standing. I do have two baddies from two plus years ago. Should I try to get two secured cards? That way I would have three credit cards. I have no inquires or new credit on my report as I haven't applied for anything in years. I imagine new credit and inquires would hurt me initially.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.