Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay for Delete - How to get letterhead agreeing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay for Delete - How to get letterhead agreeing

Part of the pay for delete process from what I have read is getting a letter from the creditor agreeing to remove this unknown item from all 3 agengies if I pay it in full.  I don't want to give out my personal fax number.  How can i get this from them.  Will they email it or do they not want the paper trail.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay for Delete - How to get letterhead agreeing

Is the collections agency or the original creditor? If its with the collections agency, have THEM email you the letter. Or if anything, just have them snail mail it.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Pay for Delete - How to get letterhead agreeing

Yes, it is always prudent to obtain written agreement to any negotiations, but it is common for either a creditor or debt collector to decline to put any such agreements in writing.

A primary factor is that their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs stipulate that they are not to delete reportiing based on payment of the debt.

The CRAs have that policy in order to preserve the completeness, and thus value, of the credit reports they sell.

An oral agreement is legally binding, but may be harder to enforce in court should they renig.

Howver, once paid, they dont have a substantive reason to litigate a breach of oral contract suit, and I would recommend not killing a PFD agreement by insistence on written confirmation.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.