Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay my balance off every month - but score still sometimes goes down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay my balance off every month - but score still sometimes goes down

Hi,  What am I doing wrong ?????  I pay my credit card off every month, I never let the balance get more than 25% of what I am allowed, and I just had a 10 point drop in my score because I have a $328 balance on a credit card which is only due on the 8th of February 2009 !  Come on, that is just not fair, I am so ultra responsible !
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Pay my balance off every month - but score still sometimes goes down

The problem is, per your statement, your account is posting 25% usage.  It does matter that you pay your account in full every month since your file is only a snap shot of time on the date they report.

The secrete to playing their game is to find out when they report to the CRB and pay you bill a day or 2 before that.  This will have them reporting a smaller or 0 balance, but keep it under 10%.

It's not so bad when we learn the rules of their game Smiley Happy  geesh.

Message 2 of 6
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

203Bravo is exactly right, if you use your card and pay it off, you're probably getting reported when you have a balance. Just call up the CCC and ask when they report, they CSR will happily tell you, and then make sure your PIF is 2 days before that. Then wait three business days later before using the card again. I was able to do this with AMEX, Orchard and BofA. I effectively brought my REPORTED utilization down to 15%, when in actuality I was carrying balances of close to 65%... they play games with you, you play games with them and get over!
Message 3 of 6
203bravo
Established Contributor

here! here!  well said.
Message 4 of 6
Lil_Me
New Contributor

I second that 203bravo! I had to learn this the hard way. I am currently trying to purchase a home and I use my cards for gas during the week and lunch and I make sure I pay the balance down to a small amount or 0 balance.

10/3/2020 TU: 619, EP: 627, EQ: 613

Discover It $2200, /images.ctfassets.net/vrxttq978is8/6wscgyGnZ3KkFiyrWOJrO4/a8326124891622c78192fa5afe137103/New_Project__1_.png?w=1133&h=1000&q=50 “ height=”40” width=”50”> Avant $500, Credit One $600, One $400, /helzberg.com/media/icons/platinum-credit-card-170x106-opt.jpg “ height=”40” width=”50”> Helzberg $1000, Ann Taylor $500, VS $150, /www.ulta.com/static/images/footer_cc.png “ height=”40” width=”50”> Ulta $400, Amazon Prime $100, Cap 1 $450, Navy Federal $200

Gardening Mode!!!!
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Time to retire this old thread. Feel free to start a new one.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.