Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off Judgement or Last Collections?

tag
Menecrates
Valued Member

Pay off Judgement or Last Collections?

In a bit of a quandry.

I have an old AMEX that is a CA for about $1200 that is aging and due to fall off next year.

My ex-wife and I have a Judgement from the HOA for the townhouse she and I lived in and she never paid them.  It was too late when I found out and a judgement was put in place.  She has been paying it (garnishment).  Judgement date is 12/11.

Which one should I pay off first?  I'd like to get in good graces with AMEX and it pains me to pay my ex-wifes debts....

Thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ: 468 - 2/2013
Current Score: EQ: 620, EX: 611, TU: 599 - 7/2013
Goal Score: 750's

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay off Judgement or Last Collections?

Is there a chance that because of the judgement they could also garnish your wages as well?

If that's the case, I would pay the judgement first, and then the CA. 

But if the judgement isn't going to attack you except on your CRs, I'd just pay the CA first... but that's just my opinion. When I started repairing, I had two judgements and four collections... I paid off my judgements first before anything in order to avoid garnishment or bank account freezes, etc. 

Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 5
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Guiness: That was the very first advice you gave me 2 months ago and I did exactly that! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

Guiness: That was the very first advice you gave me 2 months ago and I did exactly that! Smiley Happy

Paying it forward now.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.