Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off all debt all at once?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off all debt all at once?

I'm currently just under $6,000 in credit card debt which puts me at around 34% utilization. Is it advisable to pay off the entire $6,000 at once? Or should it be spaced out? I eventually want to turn my finances into PIF/monthly, but not sure if I should slowly get there or if I should flood cash onto all my cards at once. Knowing I have the money to pay off all my debt makes it very tempting, but all the credit score simulators I've looked at say otherwise.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Pay off all debt all at once?

Pay them off all at once since you have the funds to do so.

The score simulators show a higher score is achieved by paying down the debt over time only because it's factoring in the scoring benefit of account aging. So paying down 2K over 6 months appears to be more beneficial than paying it down today - but that's only because 6 months of aging is being considered.

Your accounts will age 6 months in 6 months regardless of whether or not you pay your debts all at once now. You can pay everything off and still reap the benefits of ontime payments + 6 months of aging, in 6 months.. just use your cards, stay out of debt, and let time take care of the rest.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently just under $6,000 in credit card debt which puts me at around 34% utilization. Is it advisable to pay off the entire $6,000 at once? Or should it be spaced out? I eventually want to turn my finances into PIF/monthly, but not sure if I should slowly get there or if I should flood cash onto all my cards at once. Knowing I have the money to pay off all my debt makes it very tempting, but all the credit score simulators I've looked at say otherwise.

Defintiely pay those bad boys off!! The sooner you can begin AZEO the better!!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great question!  I, too, am just under $6000 and wondered if i should pay all at once also. I want my score to raise so I can apply for a mortgage.  I heard that spacing it out can bring score up but I just dont want the balance anymore.  Let us know what you wind up doing

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay them off.

Use the AZEO method with only allowing one to report a small balance, but pay everything else to zero. This will give you the best benefit.  Having all accounts to zero may hurt you a little, but paying over time will just force you to pay interest over that amount of time and your score will be no better than paying now and allowing them to age

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it! I paid it all off. This feels fantastic!

Message 6 of 7
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Congratulations! It is a wonderful feeling, keep up the great work!

Robot Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.