Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off closed CC with LOC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off closed CC with LOC?

My only remaining credit card balance is $1650 on a closed USAA MC. On two of my CRs the credit limit of $7000 shows even though the card is closed. On my EQ, the credit limit shows as 0 putting me well over 100% utilization.

Should I pay this account off with my NFCU LOC or does it not matter since I'd just be transferring the debt around? I've never used my LOC. It's got a $14k limit.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay off closed CC with LOC?

NFCU loc is treated as a cash advance. Better compare the interest rates before deciding.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would imagine that the APR on an LOC would be substantially lower than that on the CC, making it financially beneficial while also satisfying an unpaid, delinquent debt.

That could be important in a manual review if you ar about to app for new credit.

As for credit reporting, does NFCU report their LOC's?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not delinquent. I pay every month a few hundred. Last month paid $1000. It's just closed.

The APR's are each around 15%.

The LOC reports.
Message 4 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ Robert....
Yes, Navy reports their LOC to all three. Mines shows, just pulled last month.
Message 5 of 13
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I would imagine that the APR on an LOC would be substantially lower than that on the CC, making it financially beneficial while also satisfying an unpaid, delinquent debt.

That could be important in a manual review if you ar about to app for new credit.

I want to bump and piggy back on this question. 

I had a First Premier CC that was delinquent and finally closed and written off. But it shows $434 which is $134 higher than my $300 CL so it shows my utilization 144.67%. It was closed in 2009, so it may fall off by Oct 2016 or two years from now. With the balance being fairly low; should I try to pay this off? Is possible to get the derogaory mark deleted?

This wasn't in my original repair plan but if it will help pull my score up without being too much of a finacial burden it will be worth doing? It's not listed in my accounts anymore, but I had a Cap 1 unsecured card back in the early to mid 2000's. It was behind, closed and charged off. But I had came into some money and decided to pay it.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dj4Money wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I had a First Premier CC that was delinquent and finally closed and written off. But it shows $434 which is $134 higher than my $300 CL so it shows my utilization 144.67%. It was closed in 2009, so it may fall off by Oct 2016 or two years from now. With the balance being fairly low; should I try to pay this off? Is possible to get the derogaory mark deleted?

This wasn't in my original repair plan but if it will help pull my score up without being too much of a finacial burden it will be worth doing? It's not listed in my accounts anymore, but I had a Cap 1 unsecured card back in the early to mid 2000's. It was behind, closed and charged off. But I had came into some money and decided to pay it.

If it was opened prior to 2008, you might have some leverage with them by mentioning the 2008 FTC action against FP's parent, Compucredit for unethical and deceptice business practices. Some people seem to have had success that way. Google 'Compucredit FTC Lawsuit' for details about the suit.

Message 7 of 13
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dj4Money wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

If it was opened prior to 2008, you might have some leverage with them by mentioning the 2008 FTC action against FP's parent, Compucredit for unethical and deceptice business practices. Some people seem to have had success that way. Google 'Compucredit FTC Lawsuit' for details about the suit.

There was a lawsuit against Aspire too if I remember. Yes the account was opened in 2006. Exactly how should tackle this?

Message 8 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not delinquent. I pay every month a few hundred. Last month paid $1000. It's just closed.

The APR's are each around 15%.

The LOC reports.

Why is this closed if there is still a balance remaining?  Did you choose to close the account?   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few years ago I had this card maxed out with some late payments and the issuer closed the account. I immediately made a large payment to bring it current and get it under the credit limit. It was never charged off or sent to collections and I've been making monthly payments ever since. I still get a bill showing it as current but with 0 available credit.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.