Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay or not pay

tag
scubaqueen
Valued Member

Pay or not pay

I have two charge off accounts that are still with commenity bank 1) 716.00 2) 912.00.  I want to pay these so they can stop affecting my utilization percentage.  Spoke with a supervisor regarding these accounts and they refuse to do a pay for delete, and state they will update these paid in full.  I only have until 9/2016 and they would both be completely off my record.  Do I pay and if so will these cause a decrease in my score or reage the debt. Do I let them remained unpaid and potentially end up being in the hands of dead evil PRA. 

Starting Score: 379
Current Score: 568
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Pay or not pay

The COs wont be completely off your record.  They will remain of record in your credit file, but will become excluded from normal credit reports no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD. 

Credit report exclusion is not absolute.  FCRA 605(b) provides for inclusion of any normally exlcuded derogatory information under certain conditions, such as an inquiry relatd to a request for credit of $150K or more.

Additionally, credit report exclusion does not relieve the consumer of the duty to diisclose any unpaid delinquent debt if asked to do so.

If you pay the debt, it wont re-age anything.

Credit report exclusion of the CO is based only on the DOFD on the account, and SOL will become meaningless once the debt has been satisfied.

Message 2 of 9
js0319
Established Contributor

If your pay them off and your scores increase, it will be due to a drop in your utilization - not because they will be marked as "paid". 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 3 of 9
RA26
New Contributor

Credit report exclusion is not absolute.  FCRA 605(b) provides for inclusion of any normally exlcuded derogatory information under certain conditions, such as an inquiry relatd to a request for credit of $150K or more.

Additionally, credit report exclusion does not relieve the consumer of the duty to diisclose any unpaid delinquent debt if asked to do so.

Just have a question to ask. Does this just go refer to only charge offs or does this refer to collections also, or just everything that has been put on the CRs? Is there a way we could get that report?

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 9
abbafan
Regular Contributor

@scubaqueen wrote:

I have two charge off accounts that are still with commenity bank 1) 716.00 2) 912.00.  I want to pay these so they can stop affecting my utilization percentage.  Spoke with a supervisor regarding these accounts and they refuse to do a pay for delete, and state they will update these paid in full.  I only have until 9/2016 and they would both be completely off my record.  Do I pay and if so will these cause a decrease in my score or reage the debt. Do I let them remained unpaid and potentially end up being in the hands of dead evil PRA. 

Charge-off debt does not affect your utilization. Your utilization only depends on open revolving credit cards.

Discover IT $15500, Barclay Rewards $12380, Barclay Ring $13000, Cap1 Savor $7250, Chase Freedom Unlimited $9000, Best Buy Visa $12000 , Bethpage Low Rate MC - $9000, Bethpage LOC - $15000, CITI Double Cash - $21000
EQ 783
TU 798
EX 767
Message 5 of 9
scubaqueen
Valued Member

@abbafan wrote:

@scubaqueen wrote:

Charge-off debt does not affect your utilization. Your utilization only depends on open revolving credit cards.

My charge off accounts are revolving and still reporting a balance due of 912 and 716.  The original creditor still owns these accounts and reports on a monthly basis of lates and balance due.  It's not in collections on my reports they are listing as revolving closed charge off profit loss.   They are impacting my utilization percentage.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@abbafan wrote:

@scubaqueen wrote:

If the charge-offs are CC accounts they certainly do.

Message 7 of 9
scubaqueen
Valued Member

I just paid them off.  I'm done with those two accounts.  Now working on the collection accounts. 

Message 8 of 9
scubaqueen
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@abbafan wrote:

@scubaqueen wrote:

If the charge-offs are CC accounts they certainly do.

Yes they were credit cards accounts and still "infecting" my credit score because they were still being reported by the OC with a balance. I'm just ready for this negative stuff to by gone. I did feel much better paying them off. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.