Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying CO's and its impact

tag
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

Paying CO's and its impact

Hello all! Just wanted to get some lively discussion on this topic and have a place to share my updates as they occur. 

On these boards it is very common to advise people that paying a CO will have no impact on their score and that its not always a prudent practice. Because techincally in the fico scoring model it may be that a paid CO and an unpaid CO are scored pretty much the same. 

This may technically be true but I don't believe that it tells the whole story. As an individual account in one snapshot in time, that may be true that they are scored the same, but say for example you owe 1200 dollars on a charged off credit card: by paying this off you change the status from 1200 dollars owed and past due to 0 dollars and owed and paid in full. This can have a huge impact on your score with regards to your UTI %, your total bligations, your "currently past due" accts, etc. 

This is evidenced by the fact that I have had a payment plan set up for an olf BOA card that unfotunately went CO some years back. I started with a balance over 8K and ended up owing about 1100 and change before finally just paying it off. Each month when my payment of 58 dollars posted I would get a notification from Myfico credit monitoring and it would not only refelt the balance change but I would very often (read: every other month ot so) see an increase of 5-9 points on my EQ Fico score. 

This is probably much more impactful when dealing with any credit situation that involves a manual review of your report (think any recon situation with any creditor, any CU eval pretty much and any mortgage application). To these people looking at your credit I believe it not only shows a responsibility on your part to pay your past debts in full but it also shows, if unpaid, that you have an obligation and credit used, both of which come in to great account when decisions are being made by these people. 

So my conclusion is that it's always best to pay your debts in full, both past and present. It may not technically make a difference when fico scoring to change a CO from unpaid to paid, I do believe it ultimately does make a positive impact on your score, it makes a huge impact on your manual  review, and its ultimately the correct and responsible thing to do, although it does cost more $$ than settling or waiting out the DOFD period. 

I just wanted to get everyone's feedback and thoughts on this subject in one spot and in fresh perspective. Also wanted to share some updates that I have had and will have in the coming weeks. Thanks for looking everyone and thanks as always for the invaluable advice

Gardening spree went on hiatus but I think it paid off. Now back at it!
Building slowly but surely. Thank you to all members of this community for all the invaluable advice.
Latest that I know of: EX- 671, EQ- 653 TU- 648
Amex Green, Barclay Rewards MC, Cap1 Platinum, Cap1 Quicksilver, Credit One(closed!), WalMart, Amazon, DCU Platinum Visa, Jared Credit, Cap1 Spark business cash back, AMEX corporate Gold, Alliant CU Plat Visa, Suncoast FCU Plat Rewards Visa

Goals by end of January: Amex TE Costco, Amex BCE
Can it be done? It wasn't done by end of Jan, but it's still coming
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
srchick
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying CO's and its impact

Sunshinebiz: You've encountered one member of the "credit choir" in total agreement with your conclusions.  I've only been working at this rebuild situation in detail since March of this year, and I can already see a steady progression upwards in my scores by attacking every aspect of my reports, including paying the CO's I had.  I just mailed off a check today, and it is such a good feeling to do it!  I'm so focused on this rebuild journey, and forever grateful to the continued knowledge I gain from the people on this forum.

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 2 of 6
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply and congrats on your success. Totally agree on the focus and the gratitude for this forum. Keep up the great work and keep us up to date on your future wins. I'll keep updating as I get new info. 

Building slowly but surely. Thank you to all members of this community for all the invaluable advice.
Amex Green, Barclay Rewards MC, Cap1 Platinum, Cap1 Quicksilver, Credit One(closed!), WalMart, Amazon, DCU Platinum Visa, Jared Credit, Cap1 Spark business cash back, AMEX corporate Gold, Alliant CU Plat Visa, Suncoast FCU Plat Rewards Visa

Message 3 of 6
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

It's a  fako so it's obviously to be taken with a grain of salt but my Bank of America charge off updated on my exp report from owing 1158 past due to a zero balance and my fcr.com report went up 57 points! Just an FYI; like I say not a true fico. Will update again once I get the myfico update. 

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Sunshinebiz wrote:

Hello all! Just wanted to get some lively discussion on this topic and have a place to share my updates as they occur. 

On these boards it is very common to advise people that paying a CO will have no impact on their score and that its not always a prudent practice. Because techincally in the fico scoring model it may be that a paid CO and an unpaid CO are scored pretty much the same. 

This may technically be true but I don't believe that it tells the whole story. As an individual account in one snapshot in time, that may be true that they are scored the same, but say for example you owe 1200 dollars on a charged off credit card: by paying this off you change the status from 1200 dollars owed and past due to 0 dollars and owed and paid in full. This can have a huge impact on your score with regards to your UTI %, your total bligations, your "currently past due" accts, etc. CO accounts are only included in util if they report both a balance and the CL, if the CL is missing they do not enter into util calcs.

This is evidenced by the fact that I have had a payment plan set up for an olf BOA card that unfotunately went CO some years back. I started with a balance over 8K and ended up owing about 1100 and change before finally just paying it off. Each month when my payment of 58 dollars posted I would get a notification from Myfico credit monitoring and it would not only refelt the balance change but I would very often (read: every other month ot so) see an increase of 5-9 points on my EQ Fico score. 

This is probably much more impactful when dealing with any credit situation that involves a manual review of your report (think any recon situation with any creditor, any CU eval pretty much and any mortgage application). To these people looking at your credit I believe it not only shows a responsibility on your part to pay your past debts in full but it also shows, if unpaid, that you have an obligation and credit used, both of which come in to great account when decisions are being made by these people. 

So my conclusion is that it's always best to pay your debts in full, both past and present. It may not technically make a difference when fico scoring to change a CO from unpaid to paid, I do believe it ultimately does make a positive impact on your score, it makes a huge impact on your manual  review, and its ultimately the correct and responsible thing to do, although it does cost more $$ than settling or waiting out the DOFD period. In accounts that are past states SOL one would negotiate for less than what is owed and if they are Zombies they can most likely be settled for very little on the dollar. Yes manual review is where you get the most in having satisfied accounts over unpaid accounts.

I just wanted to get everyone's feedback and thoughts on this subject in one spot and in fresh perspective. Also wanted to share some updates that I have had and will have in the coming weeks. Thanks for looking everyone and thanks as always for the invaluable advice

Message 5 of 6
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

That is a great point about the actual util % equation. In the B of A example that I gave, they do report a credit line of 7500 even though its a C/O. So it now reads a zero balance on a 7500 TL. I imagine that others probably have similar experiences. Thanks for the responses. More updates to come!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.