cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Collection Lawyer for 2 years, Cap One not showing any payments at all ???

tag
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Paying Collection Lawyer for 2 years, Cap One not showing any payments at all ???

TIA for any help with this. I have been paying a collection lawyers firm monthly payments on a discharged Capital One account. The debt is valid and it is mine. I have been making monthly payments for almost 2 years, but on my CR it shows (34) 30 day lates and a ton of 60 and 90 day lates.

Nowhere on my CR's does it show I have been paying ???

This is so frustrating because I am trying to pay this off ASAP and it is has actually lowered my Credit score since I started making payments and caused me to be denied new credit (just last week). The denial stated this CapOne acct was the only reason they did not approve me (

Should I contact Cap One and have them grab my case back from this lawyer so I can PFD, or can I PFD through this lawyer ?

Also, I can't find any number to talk to anyone at CapOne, they say I have to go through this attorney (who never returns my calls)

Starting Score: 622
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paying Collection Lawyer for 2 years, Cap One not showing any payments at all ???

Does Cap1 still own the debt ?  Or was it just sold off to a CA/attorney ?   Is the Cap1 account closed or still showing recent late payments ?

Negotiating a PFD is always the best option, but since you likely can't do that any longer you could perhaps negotiate a final payment to settle it out and ask Cap1 to delete the account ( assuming that they still own the debt ).

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Re: Paying Collection Lawyer for 2 years, Cap One not showing any payments at all ???

Sorry for delay, I wanted to wait for TU to mail my official credit report.

Under Adverse Accounts it says this:

Capital One USA N.A.

Pay Status: Charged Off

Date closed:3/2009

Loan Type: Credit Card

Remarks: Closed by Credit Grantor

Past Due $4503

Last Payment 4/2012

Nowhere on this TU CR does the CA/Atty name show up, only CapOne.

When I call CapOne, they refer me back to the Atty saying they have no information at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my only 'bad' acct and is killing my credit score and has cost me a fantastic  opportunity (Hence the 'Free Credit Report from Transunion). Since I have been paying faithfully for going on 2 years, it seems that they would at least show that I am making payments on time.

Message 3 of 7
paula629
Contributor

i am having the same issue...i had a cc with Cap One, the attny. garnished my paychecks to secure the debt.  this debt is from 2006.....its now paid, i sent a letter to Cap One requesting a deletion or the least to remove the Charge-off and cancel the late pays.  I also disputed it with the credit bureaus.  I also have gotten another Cap One card, which is current....go figure!!!

01/21/2021: EQ FICO 636 TU FICO 688 EX FICO 683 br>Goal:850
AMEX Delta Platinum $1k| Macys AMEX $1k| CARE CREDIT $6,600| NFCU AMEX $13.5k|NFCU Platinum $8k|DISCOVER $6k| NFCU LOC $13k| NORDSTROM $2200| Neiman Marcus $3k| PENFED CashRewards $10k| Value City Furniture $7,500k| LOWES $17k| Target $200|VW lease $13k| LFCU Pool loan $77k| NFCU auto $25k|BMW Auto $73k|Student loans $42k
*Entering garden May 2021*

Utilization: 47%
Message 4 of 7
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Any advice would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Looks to me like Cap One still owns and has assigned to this atty's collection office. I tried to call and ask, they said they Don't do PFD EVER!!!

I asked if they would give me contact info for Cap One so I could find out why they are still reporting me late every month ( since I have been repaying for almost 2 years now). Of course, they refused to give me their contact info, but did say they could contact them when it was paid in full (

I have 39 lates because of this one last account and it is frustrating as heck because I am repaying it every month (

Message 5 of 7
Rvan1961
Valued Member

/bump  Anybody ???

Message 6 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

They are technically reporting correctly.  Though this sucks.   If you can get the money in one lump some, offer PFD.  Be sure that the deletion agreement comes from Cap 1 since they are the ones who are reporting the lates.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.