Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Judgements

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Paying Judgements

I have 2 open judgements one in the 2000s and one in the 3000s which were paid through wage garnishment, but for some reason my job stopped paying the amounts around the $200 mark. I am in the position now where I am able to pay off these remaining amounts and plan to do so. My question...will paying these help my score at all?  I'm trying to qualify for an auto loan. Score currently in the 550s

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Judgements

I would be curious to know why they stopped paying it. they are required by law to withhold a garnishment. did they stop taking it out of your wages? If not then the money went somewhere.
Message 2 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

I should also point out that a garnishment only lasts for 6 months...or 180 days. did u mean 2000? Instead of 200? Maybe the creditor never refiled to finish collecting.
Message 3 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

It was a really strange occurence (that I admittedly was tired and lazy dealing with after a long battle following a 9month layoff and loss of everything ...including my good credit). There seemed to be some discrepancy between the amount submitted on the judgement paperwork and the amount the credit union was expecting. I believe that the OC was continuing to apply interest.

Message 4 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Nope, I meant 200...when I spoke with the OC they said they were unsure of the employers reason for not continuing to pay.

Message 5 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

If you have the means to pay them then by all means do so. it should give your credit a boost and they can still come after you for it if they choose. i believe a judgement has a 20 yr SOL? Could be wrong on that but i don't think i am.
Message 6 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Great Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@randyrhodes wrote:
If you have the means to pay them then by all means do so. it should give your credit a boost and they can still come after you for it if they choose. i believe a judgement has a 20 yr SOL? Could be wrong on that but i don't think i am.

Pay it off. Get a Satisfaction of Judgment recorded. Then, if your state's statutes allow it, get the judgment vacated. Some states will allow a paid judgment to be vacated, others won't.

Once that is done, then you will find it easier to get new revovling lines of credit so you can increase your score.

Message 8 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

That would be great. I hope I'm in one of those states. Where can I find out?

Message 9 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Just google your state and vacating judgments. something should come up. what state are you in? Maybe someone on here will know. best of luck.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.