Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Off Debt Within 30 Days of Letter

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Paying Off Debt Within 30 Days of Letter

I missed a payment on a medical billing, and I just received the first letter from the collection agency. If I pay off the debt within 30 days of the date of the letter, will is report on my credit reports?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying Off Debt Within 30 Days of Letter

@PayYouNever wrote:

I missed a payment on a medical billing, and I just received the first letter from the collection agency. If I pay off the debt within 30 days of the date of the letter, will is report on my credit reports?

Most collectors will give you a 30 day grace period before its reported. If its legit, pay it before then or make payment arrangements.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It could.  Call and get their agreement not to report.

The 30-day period set in the dunning notice applies to the period within which a DV sent by you will be treated as timely, and thus invoke a cease collection bar.

You could send an immediate DV, thus invoking a cease collection bar, but they could immediately validate and report, so sending a DV would not ensure a bar against reporting. 

I would call and get a pay for not reporting agreement.

Message 3 of 7
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Okay, thanks. I'll give them a call. They actually have the balance wrong too, seems the OC sold it without creditng a payment.

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@PayYouNever wrote:

Okay, thanks. I'll give them a call. They actually have the balance wrong too, seems the OC sold it without creditng a payment.

The OC prob is just having the CA collect on their behalf I would call them and ask them to recall the debt, adjust the balance and then pay them off if they do the recall for you.

Message 5 of 7
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

So you're saying I can call the OC and request to recall the debt, and be prepared to pay them off once they do. How do I know if they have recalled the debt?

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@PayYouNever wrote:

So you're saying I can call the OC and request to recall the debt, and be prepared to pay them off once they do. How do I know if they have recalled the debt?

Yes, you can ask for the agreement in writing which is the gold standard, you can record the conversation you have with them as proof and info them of said recording if your state requires such notifications or just take their word for it. A verbal agreement has the same weight as one in writing. Medical debt is some of the easiest to deal with as far as getting the OCs to recall and if that doesnt work to get the CA to agree to a PFD. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.