Paying Off vs. Settling Old Debt

My husband credit is full of old debt from 2-3  years ago.....my question is, what looks better for your FICO score and credit, paying the amount off in full as they stand, or calling to get a settlement amount.....or does it make a difference at all how you pay it???
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Off vs. Settling Old Debt

I think Settled is worse that Paid in Full.

But the best thing would be a PFD (Pay for Delete).  Instead of paying and they update to Paid in Full or Settled, you pay and they remove it completely.  Of course, they have to agree.  Search the forums for PFD for more details.

Wife's FICO Scores, 7/10/09: TU:??? EQ:634 EX: ???
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/13/09: TU:??? EQ:604 EX: 630
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:592 EX: 630
My FICO Scores, 6/19/09: TU:757 EQ:744 EX:758 (all from MB; EQ Agrees)
My FICO Scores, 3/29/09: TU:755 EQ:746 EX: ???
My FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:730 EX: 720
Moderator Emeritus

Some lenders prefer to see "paid in full" versus "settled".

What is the current status of the accounts?

An account marked settled is scored the same as an account that has been charged off. So, settling could be worse than PIF in terms of score, depending on the current condition of the account.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Established Contributor

sidewinder wrote:

An account marked settled is scored the same as an account that has been charged off.

So in terms of your finances vs credit score, you're better off not taking a settlement offer, keeping your cash, and having the creditor report a chargeoff for 7 years (unless it's a student loan).

Wife's FICO Scores, 7/10/09: TU:??? EQ:634 EX: ???
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/13/09: TU:??? EQ:604 EX: 630
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:592 EX: 630
My FICO Scores, 6/19/09: TU:757 EQ:744 EX:758 (all from MB; EQ Agrees)
My FICO Scores, 3/29/09: TU:755 EQ:746 EX: ???
My FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:730 EX: 720
Moderator Emeritus

Mike14 wrote:

sidewinder wrote:

An account marked settled is scored the same as an account that has been charged off.

So in terms of your finances vs credit score, you're better off not taking a settlement offer, keeping your cash, and having the creditor report a chargeoff for 7 years (unless it's a student loan).

If it is already a CO, settling shouldn't change things in terms of settled vs PIF.

Paying a CO that is reporting a balance(even settling if the balance will be marked at $0) could help if it the account is still factoring into your util%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources

well all the accounts are "collection accounts" and as far as I can tell, nothing's "charged off"...which is good I guess?? how do I know what's being included in his util% ??  And thank ya'll so much, that answered alot actually.
Moderator Emeritus

If these are collections being reported by a CA, then there shouldn't be a difference to scoring between settling and PIF, as collections are score the same, whether paid or unpaid.

Your best option would be to try to negotiate a PFD.

Are these beyond SOL? What is DOFD? Have you DV'd?

uumm..I'm new to this and dont' know what SOL would be?? They were mostly from when he lived in an apartment back around 2005, but weren't opened with the CA until 2007, and a few medical bills.  I'm unsure about the DV? either, but we know what the debts are if that's the DV involves. 
Moderator Emeritus

SOL = Statutes of Limitations-- time they have to sue you.

DV= Debt Validation

For the medical, visit the med debt board-- see link below.

Read the various links below, helpful information there.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.