Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Original Creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying Original Creditor

I had a collections account from ERC pop up on my CR relating to a bill from Time Warner Cable from 2012 that I knew nothing about. I called and spoke with a TWC rep who accepted my payment after explaining the charges. She said they would send a letter to ERC to let them know that my account is paid and that ERC would delete the account. Has anyone had experience with paying the OC directly after the account goes to collections? Does the collections company always remove the account?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying Original Creditor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a collections account from ERC pop up on my CR relating to a bill from Time Warner Cable from 2012 that I knew nothing about. I called and spoke with a TWC rep who accepted my payment after explaining the charges. She said they would send a letter to ERC to let them know that my account is paid and that ERC would delete the account. Has anyone had experience with paying the OC directly after the account goes to collections? Does the collections company always remove the account?

Technically they are not required to delete the collection, just mark it as paid, but the reality is with utility collections, the original creditor regularly will accept payment in full and order the collection deleted.  There are many reports on here of that happening and it happened with me as well.

Message 2 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I have heard that TWC is very easy to deal with.  I hope they keep their word and the deletion comes through.  I *think* that their Ca is an 'internal' agency. 

Please stop back and keep everyone updated.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm fairly certain the ERC is not internal to TWC, but ERC has had "issues" regarding their reporting department in recent months. What exactly has happened is not known, but some people have been told by ERC that they "no longer have a reporting department", which is a rather odd thing to say as people are seeing them report items curently. Some people have been speculating that they may have temporarily lost their reporting priviledge for some reason. 

I have a feeling they will defer to their clients wishes...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was told it should take 5-7 days for the account to be removed. We are preparing to buy a house and this has thrown a wrench into the plans.  The people at ERC were extremely unfriendly so I'm hoping I don't have to deal directly with them again.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm fairly certain the ERC is not internal to TWC, but ERC has had "issues" regarding their reporting department in recent months. What exactly has happened is not known, but some people have been told by ERC that they "no longer have a reporting department", which is a rather odd thing to say as people are seeing them report items curently. Some people have been speculating that they may have temporarily lost their reporting priviledge for some reason. 

If the collections account is still there after a week (time frame I was given for deletion) should I dispute it with the CRA? If so, which dispute reason would this fall under?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the collections account is still there after a week (time frame I was given for deletion) should I dispute it with the CRA? If so, which dispute reason would this fall under?

No, do not dispute it. The CRA's standard policy is to NOT delete items when they are paid. Just be patient and contact the OC if its not gone in 30 days.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to clarify, TWC has not reported this account to the CRA, only ERC has reported it.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, TWC has not reported this account to the CRA, only ERC has reported it.

Understood - but TWC is who told you they would request ERC to remove, so thats who I would contact if its seems like they (ERC) are not complying.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, ok. So wait 30 days then contact TWC if it's still there and then if I wait another 30 days and it's still there and not shown as paid I would dispute?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.