Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Contributor
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎03-15-2008
0 Kudos

Paying Out of State Judgment

I have a judgement for $685 dollars in Indiana and currently live in Chicago. I need to pay it off before closing on a new home in a few weeks.


How do I go about doing this? I need a receipt the the OC and docs from the court showing paid in full. How long does this generally take?


Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.



New Contributor
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎04-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Paying Out of State Judgment

My DH paid one off in 2010. It was a medical collection and the OC had us call their CA who had us call their attorney to get a notarized "Satisfaction of Judgment" that we then had to file with the courts. I'd assume if you call the OC or CA (depending on who has the debt now)  and pay it off they'd notify their attorney (I'm assuming they'd have an attorney since its a judgment but may be wrong) and then get you the Sof J. We live in the same city as where it was filed so I could just walk into the courthouse and get it filed the day after the notarized copy came in the mail. There were also instructions to mail it to the court. We're in WI and I just googled until I figured out how to handle it (like I said it was paid in 2010, but we just realized there were the extra steps to file it last week).

Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 29,715
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Paying Out of State Judgment

[ Edited ]

The creditor, under the rules of procedure of the court, is required to file notification of satisfaction with the court within a certain period of time.

Ask the creditor, at the least, to provide you a copy of their notification to the court.  It will facilitate both your informal showing to the mortgage lendor that it is paid, and your checking back with the court to get their actual recordation of that satisfaction.

Check the rules of civil procedure that apply in the judgment court to get that time period.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.