Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying RJM Acq via PFD, wondering about how/if status w/ BOA changes

tag
bananaman2013

Paying RJM Acq via PFD, wondering about how/if status w/ BOA changes

Hi there,

I'm sending out RJM a PFD letter soon.  I've read here that they're very PFD friendly, etc.  I'm sending them the letter offering 100% (roughly $2k) for a complete PFD.  My question is if this will change anything as far as my status with Bank of America (BofA checking accts is what the RJM money is owed for).  I'm not wondering if I'll actually be able to get an acct from BofA because that's obviously dependent on other things, but is BofA at least made aware that I settled this for 100% of the amount, or that I settled it at all?  Does it change anything at all in regards to my standing w/ the bank?  These accts went negative in the summer of 2009, if that matters.

Also, unrelated to this thread but I do have a couple other questions.  I am trying to get 3 secured cards opened and am having trouble.  So far US Bank approved me for a 2k one and I'm waiting on the card now.  BofA declined me.  Cap1 declined me.  Apple Bank is still pending.  Dunno where else to look.  TD Bank has one and that is where I bank currently and have plenty of money in my accts with them, so I'm thinking I have at least a decent chance there.  Is there any banks I should avoid?  Any recommendations?  I've read Citi is hard to get approved so I'm not even gonna try.  I live in NYC so if anyone knows of any smaller banks here that I could try, let me know.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying RJM Acq via PFD, wondering about how/if status w/ BOA changes

You may be able to call BofA and request the account be taken back so you can pay them in full. I havent heard of this working all the time but it has in the past.

When it comes to your credit card question, there are a few things that need to be addressed. Do you have any baddies? Are they recent? what is your debt to income ratio? Annual Income? These are all things to take into consideration when applying for a new card.

Cap1 is generally pretty good about approving cards to sub-prime credit (I am not saying you are sub-prime, jsut explaining). Since you were denied, you can recon through their EO office or by simply messaging their facebook. Anything sent through their facebook will be escalated to their EO. I have gotten what I wanted each time I sent them a facebook message. 

Are you able to join a local credit union or any other CU? Once a member of a CU it can be much easier to get a credit card through them. Plus, they traditionally offer better rates than large banks. I am in he process of joining Navy Federal CU for this reason (future auto loan).

With not a great credit history, Citi can be hard to get approved for without a high annual income and higher CL's on other accounts. I would avoid them for now and Recon with Cap1. Keep in mind, with every CC app comes a HP. Too many HP's in a short period makes the lender worry that you are a credit risk. 

Message 2 of 5
bananaman2013

If I have Bank of America take the account back, won't the RJM thing stay on my credit report though?

Message 3 of 5
bananaman2013

I don't have a job at all.  Have a few degrees and applying for jobs but nothing yet...I just got back from living in Mexico/Canada for about a year.  I have about 230k in the bank if that matters.  I have about 7 bad things on my credit report ranging from $45 - $1300 each (9k-ish total), some are new but those are tiny ones and the bigger (1k-ish) ones are from 2008-2009.  Right now I'm waiting for all my PFD letters to be sent back.  I don't really have a way to pay that debt off until I know whether or not each CA is gonna do the PFD or not.  I'm just trying to get the cards open as soon as possible for obvious reasons.

Message 4 of 5
bananaman2013

Does anyone know somewhat specific guidelines (doesn't need to be exact) that Citi goes by to approve their cards?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.