Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying a CA for medical vs HIPAA strategy

tag
tealewis
Valued Member

Paying a CA for medical vs HIPAA strategy

I have several medical collections on my credit report that I would like to clear up. At the time the defaults happened there was confusion with my insurance company etc. and I didn't keep up on what was owed and just let the whole thing default.

Now this string of medical bills for all about the same period of time show as separate collection accounts. They total less than $500 to PIF. The HIPAA process seems complicated and time consuming, plus I'm not even sure where to send my payments. Is it really that bad to just write PFD letters to the CAs? I'm wondering if it is worth it as it sounds my credit score may not even improve? Any insight would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying a CA for medical vs HIPAA strategy

I think PFD is the best idea and the quickest, also.  HIPAA sounds great and has done wonders for people - but you still have to pay the accounts to start that process.  Your scores will absolutely get better if you get all of them removed via PFD!  Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.