Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying a Creditor Online

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying a Creditor Online

HI! I'm new to the forum and have read a wealth of information on how to rebuild. My husband has a debt with Capital One that has been sent to Progressive CA. I want to pay it in full so that it will show as paid in full. But is it a good idea to pay it online? Or what would you suggest when paying off this debt?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying a Creditor Online

how old is the debt? when was last pay? you may even be able to call collection agency and see if they are willing to do a pay for delete.

(that's what i would do)

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The debt is over a year old. I have tried to get a pay for delete, but they would not budge. I tried to pay less for a paid in full and they would not. I've sent letters, and they still want me to pay in full.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Several factors come to mind.....

First, if the creditor no longer owns the debt (i.e., the debt collector purchased the debt), then you can no longer pay the creditor, period.

Any payment would have to go to the debt collector only.

Second, even if the creditor still owns the debt (i.e., the debt collector only has assigned collection authority), some assignment agreements require any and all payments must be made thru the debt collector.  Before sending any payment to the creditor, you should give them a call and inquire as to whether they will even accept payment.

That might be a good time to also ask whether you should send any payment to a special address, such as their internal collection department.

Third, if part of your goal is to also obtain deletion of the reported collection, simply sending payment to the creditor will not lead to any required deletion.

You can either send a pay for deletion offer to the debt collector, requesting their agreement to delete their reporting in exchange for payment.

It is also possible to get the collection removed by first getting the creditor to terminate their assignment to the debt collector, but that approach requires voluntary termination prior to any payment to the creditor, and then requires the debt collector to therafter report deletion.  It is often fraught with problems.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info! Looking at his credit report, it looks like Capital One still owns the debt and the CA is showing as the “Factoring Company” I’m not sure what that means. But if all else fails, would a Goodwill letter make sense since he’s an Auth user on my Cap One card?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.