Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying all debts, what's the impact?

tag
Annaliese
New Contributor

Paying all debts, what's the impact?

Hello All,

We are planning to pay off all of our debts after selling our house. We have about 25K total in debts. If we pay it off in one shot, how does it impact our credit scores? Would that affect our mortgage application for our next house? Should I close some of the credit cards or leave them open after paying them off?

This must have been posted here a million times so I am sorry if I am asking the same questions.

Thank you so much and your input will be appreciated!

Ani

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying all debts, what's the impact?

Honestly, it depends on what kind of debt you have and who it's with. Is it all credit cards, auto loans, student loans? Or is it medical bills and charge offs?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

do not close the credit cards!!!  Even with zero balanes, your AAoA could drop, and if you do add any debt to your cards that will casue your util % to be higher

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing cards in good standing won't affect your AAoA for 10 years.
Message 4 of 12
Annaliese
New Contributor

We have credit cards, prosper loan and student loans. We would like to pay them off before applying for a home mortgage. I just don't know if it would help our credit scores etc. I also want to close credit cards that was opened last year or is that even a good idea?

Thanks much,

Ani

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the cards have an annual fee close them. If they don't and you just don't use them put them away and let the company close them eventually but keep an eye on them for bogus transactions. It won't matter if they close them or you do as long as you don't default on them. Before you apply for a mortgage make sure 1 card reports a balance of less than 10% utilization for optimal scoring. I'd pay off all but 1 loan and pay that way down so you'll still get the score from that.
Message 6 of 12
Annaliese
New Contributor

rmduhon27,

All of my debts are showing current since but the DTI is just way too high right now.  My credit scores ranging from 680-720 but the DTI is hurting us, couldn't even qualify to get a pre-approval for 75K mortgage loan. Smiley Sad Truly sucks and cannot wait to be debt free..i just don't want to pay them all off then our credit scores will go down.. 

Thanks, all for the input!

Ani

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To minimize DTI, use your highest limit card and just let 1% report. For example if the card had a limit of 5000 let 50 report. And pay the 1 loan down to less than 10%. Once you get a mortgage you can pay the last bit off since you'll have the mortgage to cover the installment part
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In all I had 26 baddies that I paid. My score actually dropped about 100 points in the process of disputing then paying off. While the DOFD didn't re-age, the accounts reported late payments when verified. I have 3 accounts paid, that I am waiting to report. These three have my UTI over 60%. Once updated, my UTI will be below 6%, so I should gain some points back. I'll also gain points back as I will move from 2 reporting accounts to 5. So, we will see. The good news for me is that by July of 17 14 of the 15 derogs showing will fall off. I will be starting a good will campaign once all my baddies have reported $0 balances. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In all I had 26 baddies that I paid. My score actually dropped about 100 points in the process of disputing then paying off. While the DOFD didn't re-age, the accounts reported late payments when verified. I have 3 accounts paid, that I am waiting to report. These three have my UTI over 60%. Once updated, my UTI will be below 6%, so I should gain some points back. I'll also gain points back as I will move from 2 reporting accounts to 5. So, we will see. The good news for me is that by July of 17 14 of the 15 derogs showing will fall off. I will be starting a good will campaign once all my baddies have reported $0 balances. 

now thats the spirit! Good job keep up the good work Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.