Contributor
agforfree5

Paying charge off lower score?!

I have a charge off that was COed in Sept 2010 and has not been reported since then. It shows a $0 balance. My questions is-- Once I make a payment and update the status next month to CO-Paid in full, will this bring my score down as it will be showing as a recent CO?

Someone please advise. I am super confused.

PS- I already know that paying the CO does not reset the DOFD. Just want to know if the DOLA / Last reported date will get updated and if that affects the score?

Contributor
jess985

It never: Paying charge off lower score?!

It never has for me. 

The first CO I ever paid was for an installment loan charged off in 2009, paid it in April of this year and actually gained 5 points.

The second is for a CO for a repoed auto, charged off in 2007.  Actually just got the SW alert that they reported my first few payments on it yesterday and it did not have any affect to my score.

Shogun

Re: It never: Paying charge off lower score?!

I have seen some scores drop due to updating.  However paying this off will be the best course.  Try to PFD, and if not, PIF and then GW them.

Starting Score: 504

Current Score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Going for Wade64's RUDY Spade!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+