Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying collection, CA wont send promise not to report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying collection, CA wont send promise not to report

I wasn't sure if I should make a new post for this or not(I posted a few days ago about paying a collection due to parking violation from last year). My brother borrowed my car a few times last year and subsequently I had two parking violations from the city from him. He was supposed to pay but apparently never did. I was sent a notice from the colection company for one of the tickets: 70$. As of this time it is not showing on any of my credit reports and I'd like to keep it that way. I called the CA today with the hopes of offering to pay on the condition they would send me a written statement that they wont report this to the CRAs. However the woman I spoke to said they cannot send me anything in writing but said that if I were to pay then they wont report to the CRAs. Should I go ahead and pay anyway? I don't see any other moves I can make, really. Would you pay this even though you couldn't get anything in writing promising they wont report it? Its not on any of my reports and the rep I spoke with said they haven't/wont report it if I pay. I also have an old dentist bill from 2012 that was apparently sent to collections with this same CA and apparently they had an old address on file for that collection, but now they have my current address after I called.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paying collection, CA wont send promise not to report

In the recent settlement agreement with the New York State Office of the AG, the CRAs have agreed to discontinue reporting of collections on debts that did not arise from a contractural agreement with the consumer, such as fines and traffic tickets.

If they do report, you can contact the CRA and request removal per the consent agreement with the NYS AG.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, that puts my mind at ease! My brother is paying me back for what I will be paying the CA this week, so money isn't a problem for me. I know in my last post someone linked to an article about parking tickets and reporting to the CRAs but it was a broken link and I couldn't find anything else online about it.

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is good to hear. Now you don't have to stress over it.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't sure if I should make a new post for this or not(I posted a few days ago about paying a collection due to parking violation from last year). My brother borrowed my car a few times last year and subsequently I had two parking violations from the city from him. He was supposed to pay but apparently never did. I was sent a notice from the colection company for one of the tickets: 70$. As of this time it is not showing on any of my credit reports and I'd like to keep it that way. I called the CA today with the hopes of offering to pay on the condition they would send me a written statement that they wont report this to the CRAs. However the woman I spoke to said they cannot send me anything in writing but said that if I were to pay then they wont report to the CRAs. Should I go ahead and pay anyway? I don't see any other moves I can make, really. Would you pay this even though you couldn't get anything in writing promising they wont report it? Its not on any of my reports and the rep I spoke with said they haven't/wont report it if I pay. I also have an old dentist bill from 2012 that was apparently sent to collections with this same CA and apparently they had an old address on file for that collection, but now they have my current address after I called.

Do it, they have no upside to reporting it after payment, as that costs them money. Doing that needlessly increases their business overhead.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't know it cost them anything to report to the CRAs, I'll go ahead and pay it off then.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.