Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying collector by check--worries

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paying collector by check--worries

@Anonymous wrote:

And most likely they will claim to have sent a letter even if they haven't. No way to verify that. 

Now they're asking for a credit card on file before they send out a written agreement, and even before the CA checks with the creditor to see if the amount is acceptable. Should that worry me? A prepaid card is acceptable, so that's what I would use. Just curious why they're so adamant about getting a number on file if just a prepaid card, and why I can't finalize the negotiation of payment amount BEFORE giving my money. Commonl procedures? 

If you give them a credit card #, you should fully expect them to charge on it.   

There is no reason why you need to give them a card prior to negotiating.    It's just a negotiation tactic on their part.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Security Credit Solutions collecting on behalf of Capital One (was HSBC, got bought up). The way he made it sound was that Capital One owned the debt, and SCS was only collecting. 

I don't mind them charging a prepaid card since I set the amount, as long as it prevents a summons. We're actually filing for bankruptcy, and I'm trying to buy some time (but not at too high of a price since we need to pay the attorney fees, already difficult to come up with). Too many delinquent accounts on a too meager of an income. I explained to the collector that we have about 15 or so accounts that we're expected to pay on, so I can't imagine that they would get a whole lot out of going to court. 

Message 22 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I think you're getting caught up in a bullying tactic.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 23 of 27
tmobileguy
New Contributor

I have never sent a money order...I have only paid through a credit/debit card and a check over the phone. I have yet to have a CA do something illegal such as an unauthorized transfer from my account and would love if someone did because that would big $$$ coming my way in the long run. 

However, I would never ever give your info before the deal has been agreed upon. Before I make any deal with a CA, I have them email me or fax it to me in writing with a date that the deal is good through.

Midland's attorney's tried to pull a fast one on me but quickly backed off once they realized that i had them by their shorts. I made a deal with them on Dec 18th that I would settle the debt in full but I need a month to save up the money. So we agreed that they would give me till 1/12/13 to pay the debt. 4 TIMES the lady sent me the offer that said it was due on 12/14/12 and I said this is expired already and I need the correct settlement offer sent...well she sent me the next one that said that the settlement was good through 12/12/13 (she accidently gave me a year to pay it)....so I called them up a few days ago because I had saved the money and talked to them....they said "that offer was only good through the end of Dec and its not valid anymore... I said I have proof in writing otherwise....so she checked and realized that I was right and made the deal like it should have been made...but she did try to scam me and would have gotten away with it had I not had my basis covered...I am probably going to sue the law firm for attempting to defraud me on a valid contract just to piss them off and rattle their cage. I figure a 20 million dollar lawsuit will get their attention...dont care if it costs me money or if it gets thrown out, I just want to make the attorneys that own the law firm uncomfortable knowing that someone is going for their life's work, since thats what they do to everyone else on a daily basis...

Starting Score: EQ 575 EX 595 TR 524
Current Score: EQ 643 EX ??? TR 638
Goal Score: EQ 300 EX 300 TR 300

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I may just be bad at making myself sound serious enough, or something. I do know now that I was never sent a proper dunning notice from having called the company actually owning the debt. So this guy is making it look as though things are moving so fast now because the debt is already 3 years. Whatever. I do know he's bullying me, but I'm still unsure of what legal actions he can pursue without the dunning notice etc. 

tmobileguy--you're awesome. The more I read trying to educate myself about my own situation and hearing what these people are capable of, and having the states like my own accomodate these actions by law, the more angry or cynical I get. I'm glad there are people like you for whom money and time isn't an issue. 

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was looking for the conversation we had about sending a DV letter but can't find it. Anyhow, who do I send the letter to? The company owning the debt, or the collecting company? 

Message 26 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send it to the CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.