Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying medical collections that are not reporting to CRAs

tag
Cobweb
Valued Member

Paying medical collections that are not reporting to CRAs

I have 2 medical bills (same OC) that are approx 2 years old. They have been sent to collection agencies. Actually, the debt has been transferred 2x with no contact (no payment, verification, etc) from me.

I am able to pay the full amounts, but I am worried about the bills being reported to the CRAs.

I will attempt to pay the OC. Should I send a HIPPA letter with payment in full? Do I need to request a PIF for agreement to not report before I pay?

I've searched the archives, and I'm still unsure what to do.

TYIA
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying medical collections that are not reporting to CRAs

I would follow whychat's hipaa process.
Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

While the HIPAA route is the best way, you will not be able begin this process unless the CA is reporting the bad account. So, unless it shows up on your reports, you can't write the pre-HIPAA (in the link below) dispute letter to the CRAs...you would have nothing to dispute. Also, you cannot write Letter #2 in the thread below unless you have written Letter#1 and the CRAs verifiy. I would try and PIF with the OC. In the meantime, do not communicate with the CA. It's possible you might be able to avoid the CA all togther and have this resolved.

Message 3 of 12
Cobweb
Valued Member

The OC will not accept full payment on the 2 yo debt.

Do I send a letter to the CA and ask for non-reporting in exchange for PIF?

I can't figure out why this debt isn't reporting at all on the CRAs. Could it be as simple as the OC not having the social security number? It was an ER visit and we were rushing to fill out the paperwork - maybe I didn't include a social?

Any thoughts?
Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Cobweb wrote:
The OC will not accept full payment on the 2 yo debt.

Do I send a letter to the CA and ask for non-reporting in exchange for PIF?

I can't figure out why this debt isn't reporting at all on the CRAs. Could it be as simple as the OC not having the social security number? It was an ER visit and we were rushing to fill out the paperwork - maybe I didn't include a social?

Any thoughts?

Happy might recommend you write some other type of letter (non-HIPAA), but I say do nothing. It's not reporting, so it's not hurting you. As far as I'm concerned, you are not a deadbeat with this debt, you offered to pay this entire bill with OC more than once and they refused to accept. That's their problem!
Message 5 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Also, do not DV the CA. I really think if this was going to report it would have done so by now...2 years and still not reporting...I wouldn't worry.
Message 6 of 12
Cobweb
Valued Member

Fused, thanks for the reply.

In a display of remarkable coincidence the CA just reported these accounts (scorewatch alert). Funny how I just contacted the OC this week again, and now the CA reports for the first time in 2 years.

We're mulling over buying a house soon, so I definitely need these medical collections to go away (PFD).

I'm confused about the whole HIPPA letter procedure. I am not disputing the money owed, and I am willing to PIF for deletion.

Message Edited by Cobweb on 08-07-2008 10:54 AM
Message 7 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Cobweb wrote:
Fused, thanks for the reply.

In a display of remarkable coincidence the CA just reported these accounts (scorewatch alert). Funny how I just contacted the OC this week again, and now the CA reports for the first time in 2 years.

We're mulling over buying a house soon, so I definitely need these medical collections to go away (PFD).

I'm confused about the whole HIPPA letter procedure. I am not disputing the money owed, and I am willing to PIF for deletion.

Message Edited by Cobweb on 08-07-2008 10:54 AM

Two choices here: offer a PIF PFD with the OC only (not the CA) or if they won't agree, use the HIPAA letter process.
Message 8 of 12
Cobweb
Valued Member

Okay, I have been told two separate times by the OC that they do not own the debt and will not accept payment.

So I am left with option #2. Since I haven't used this method before, let me make sure I have it straight.

I send letters to all three CRAs to start dispute/DV with the CA? Then if the information is verified, I call the OC on sharing confidential information? If not verified, it should be deleted. Is this correct?

I am confused about the inserts.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited to add: The OC has VERBALLY refused payment 2x. Should I send a PFD request in letter form before going through with the HIPPA letter process? If my propsal is accepted, I would send a check for PIF with FOR DEPOSIT ONLY on the back of the check.

Message Edited by Cobweb on 08-07-2008 11:19 AM
Message 9 of 12
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

I would definitely communicate IN WRITING with the OC. Send it CMRR... I was under the impression medical debt couldn't be sold. They can utilize a CA, but they can't actually sell the debt. I may be wrong though.

08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.