Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off 2 non medical collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off 2 non medical collections?

So i have one with CapOne for $514 that shows to fall off in 04/2019 and another for an old bank account for $657 that shows to fall off around 4/2017. I am wanting to get a morgtage but scared to mess with these two accounts. If i pay them off and they do not get deleted, that will hurt my score wont it?

The $657 is with Credit Collections Inc, and the other is with Portfolio Recovery... NOt sure what to do.....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off 2 non medical collections?

@Anonymous wrote:

So i have one with CapOne for $514 that shows to fall off in 04/2019 and another for an old bank account for $657 that shows to fall off around 4/2017. I am wanting to get a morgtage but scared to mess with these two accounts. If i pay them off and they do not get deleted, that will hurt my score wont it?

The $657 is with Credit Collections Inc, and the other is with Portfolio Recovery... NOt sure what to do.....

Contact your mortgage broker and find out if the lender requires them to be paid or not.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Contact your mortgage broker and find out if the lender requires them to be paid or not.

+1 ... No sense in taking action if you don't have to

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a collections with portfolio recovery a couple years back. I paid it and never asked them to remove, now it's not on any of my reports. Maybe try a PFD with them? May not hurt to try. I haven't had much success with Cap1, that's not to say they can't be worked with. There are stories on here about people getting things removed, etc. Good Luck.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it nearing its 7 year mark? Did it drop off?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Collections are excluded from your credit report by the CRA based ONLY on the reported DOFD.

Payment or non-payment of the debt is irrelevant, and there is no "reset" of the exclusion date.

The CRA must exclude no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

CRA standard practice is to exclude at approx 7 years from DOFD, and thus their estimated exclusion date typically includes a standard early exclusion of approx 6 months.

Bottom line is that if the CRA fails to exclude after expiration of 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, they are in violation of the statute (FCRA 605(c)).

That rarely happens, and would subject them to complaint to the CFPB and/or civil action for violation of the FCRA. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.