Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Judgment

tag
suzeeh
Established Member

Paying off Judgment

In the past four months, I have been paying $1,000 a month to pay off a $4,000 judgment on a Chase credit card account froma few  years ago.  I was dealing with the loss of my son and simply did not remember to go to the hearing and got a default judgment.  In these past four months, my credit bureau reports have dropped by about 35 points due to not paying significantly on the rest of my credit cards.  I never miss payments but just not paying as much.  My utilization was at 16%.  It's now 23%.  Experian was around 670 and now it dropped to 635.  My FICO is 690 currently. 

QUESTION IS:  Once I make the last payment on the judgment (in two days), and start using that $1,000 to pay off my $8,100 credit cards, how long will it take before my credit will start going back up.  I only owe $48,000 on mortgage and anticipate all credit cards will be paid off in the next nine months.  Thank you so much for any feedback you can provide.  I have learned so much since I joined this community!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Paying off Judgment

If it is just your utilization in question, your score will go up anytime your utilization drops.

If you had late payments during that time, it is another story.

My condolences for your loss.

Message 2 of 7
suzeeh
Established Member

I just paid off the judgment in full and received release to file with the court.  Is it best to send the papers to each credit bureau to show payment was made?

Message 3 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

First and foremost, my condolences on your loss. Yes, send any paper you have from the court showing it has been paid and released to all three CRA's. They should delete the Public Record. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 4 of 7
suzeeh
Established Member

Thank you so much!!!

Message 5 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Anytime. Keep myself and guiness posted. We LOVE sucess stories!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

DId you get that judgement removed?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.