Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Old Debts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off Old Debts

I am not disputing the things on my CR(aside from one thing). Should I pay off newer things? Should I do a PFD? The oldest thing will drop off in July of next year. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paying off Old Debts

Numerous considerations can affect priorty of payment of valid debt.

If the debt is a charge-off, it may be sent to collector or sold, so payment might forstall addition of a collection.

Is the debt still within SOL?  If so, then payment could forstall legal action.  If not, it is time barred.  Do you still want to pay a time barred debt?

Do you plan applying for new credit before a derog becomes excluded, thus making pay for deletetion a priority?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Numerous considerations can affect priorty of payment of valid debt.

If the debt is a charge-off, it may be sent to collector or sold, so payment might forstall addition of a collection.

Is the debt still within SOL?  If so, then payment could forstall legal action.  If not, it is time barred.  Do you still want to pay a time barred debt?

Do you plan applying for new credit before a derog becomes excluded, thus making pay for deletetion a priority?

There is one older than 5 years. The rest are like 2011/2012. Newest one is from 2014 from our previous residence. They never sent us any correspondence(we moved10/12) and I received a collections notice in the mail the end of last year. Only one is a charge off on an old credit card from 2009 for $436. That is the oldest.

I am asking because I am trying to raise my score from 612 to 640 or hgher in a year to apply for a home loan.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFNI Collection Oct, 2012  

CC COLL SVC Collection Jul, 2014  

CHASE AUTO 30-day Late Payment Aug, 2011  

CRDT CTRL CO Collection Jan, 2012  

CREDIT MGMT Collection Aug, 2011  

FST PREMIER Charge Off Jul, 2009  

REG CRDT SER Collection Oct, 2010

Tried to get a GW from Chase today. They basically told me to bite it even though that was our first and only late payment.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The importnt date for any collection or charge-off is the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the OC account.

That controls SOL and the begin of the 7 year plus 180 day period for credit report exclusion of either a charge-off or collection.

Do you have the DOFD for those debts?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The importnt date for any collection or charge-off is the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the OC account.

That controls SOL and the begin of the 7 year plus 180 day period for credit report exclusion of either a charge-off or collection.

Do you have the DOFD for those debts?

I do not. I got the info I posted from the Experian site when I bought my 3 reports on 4/08.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.