Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off a debt that was either assigned to a collection agency

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Paying off a debt that was either assigned to a collection agency

If I had a debt from the original creditor that was assigned to the collection agency and I paid the collection agency, I know the collection will update their records but does that automatically update the original creditor records as well?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying off a debt that was either assigned to a collection agency

@sjt wrote:

If I had a debt from the original creditor that was assigned to the collection agency and I paid the collection agency, I know the collection will update their records but does that automatically update the original creditor records as well?

No. You will have to deal with the OC and CA separately.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

That seems odd because they are the same account and debt.

Any recommendations on how to go about dealing with the OC to have the records updated?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

That seems odd because they are the same account and debt.

Any recommendations on how to go about dealing with the OC to have the records updated?

You have different issues with the OC and CA. With the OC you had to have had late payments and perhaps a charge off before it went to collections. The CA has nothing to do with lates and/or a CO. Their only concern is the collection.

Just contact the OC and see if they will work with you. They might agree to delete the lates and other negative items. It's worth a try.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.