New Visitor
Ruschak

Paying off a loan?

Hey Guys and Girls,

I have
New Visitor
Ruschak

Re: Paying off a loan?

Sorry I must have doubled posted anyways.

I have an auto loan and a student loan that I think is lowering my credit score.  Right now I have the ability to pay off one of them. I'm 21 and don't have much history when it comes to credit.  How much of a boost do you think I would get if I did pay off one of the loans.  Each loan is around $3500.

Is there any quick way to increase my credit rating?

I'm looking into buying a house and would prefer to have the lowest rate I can get my hands on.
Valued Contributor
slyhouse08

How could these be hurting you???...you can lose points by paying them off...installment loans are not calculated like revolving credit...they don't hurt as much...if your applying for a mortgage...paying them will help your DTI....although...I though if there is less than 10 months of payments left...they ar enot counted into your DTI...
Moderator Emeritus
HappyDays

Ruschak wrote:
Sorry I must have doubled posted anyways.

I have an auto loan and a student loan that I think is lowering my credit score.  Right now I have the ability to pay off one of them. I'm 21 and don't have much history when it comes to credit.  How much of a boost do you think I would get if I did pay off one of the loans.  Each loan is around $3500.

Is there any quick way to increase my credit rating?

I'm looking into buying a house and would prefer to have the lowest rate I can get my hands on.

Not much!!!!  I paid off an auto loan early & my scores dropped 7 points!

revolving accounts (CC) count for about 30 % of your score and installment only 10%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+