cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off collections over 1 year old..should I?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off collections over 1 year old..should I?

I have 3 accounts in collection, one from 2011 and 2 from early 2014 (>1year). They are all at least one year old.

Credit Collection Services is the account holder.

Should I pay off the accounts and try to get them removed at this point?

Would it make a difference in my score?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off collections over 1 year old..should I?

If you are able to get them removed it will....

What positive accounts do you have?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your collections are with CCS I would definitely suggest trying to PFD. They just did 2 for me and they were gone within 2 weeks. That one year old collection will haunt your reports for another 6 years at least keeping your score low. Having them deleted will probably gain you some immediate points.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 accounts in collection, one from 2011 and 2 from early 2014 (>1year). They are all at least one year old.

Message 3 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

You should definitely PFD those if you can. As always, make sure the company agrees to delete the listings & not just update them as paid.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loans are in forbearance ( I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing-credit report wise), and I have 3 open credit cards at the moment with a $0 balance on all three (yay me!):

Merrick Visa - $1000 limit - $0 balance

Capital One Secured - $200 limit - $0 balance

Verve MC - $500 limit - $0 balance

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My student loans are in forbearance ( I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing-credit report wise), and I have 3 open credit cards at the moment with a $0 balance on all three (yay me!):

Merrick Visa - $1000 limit - $0 balance

Capital One Secured - $200 limit - $0 balance

Verve MC - $500 limit - $0 balance

You need to let 1 of these report a small balance every month to the CRAs no more than 9% of its CL, all revolvers at 0 results in a Fico score ding for not using any revolvers at all.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely, without question do you want to try to get these removed. Collections hurt your credit profile big time. At all costs try to get a "pay for delete" agreement and get them paid off. Just make sure you have enough money to pay the account in full immediately that you are requesting the pfd for. Do not enter into any payment plans with them, pay it all at once.

Not only will your credit score suffer big time with these collections, but you could also be sued for them. These accounts will haunt you for a long time if you do not take care of them now.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.