Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off old collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off old collection

I have an old collection from an unpaid Comcast bill, I wont go into details on how i got this but around June 2015 it went to collections. I recently got a letter in Aug 2017 from  ERC stating i owed $86.00 for this debt. I was under the assumption that is it was under $100.00 it wouldnt hurt my score and it was best to leave be due to the fact of paying it off would make it appear new to lenders.

I would just pay it off but i am looking to finance something here in the next month or so and dont know what to do? Should I pay it off and risk it showing as a new debt or since ERC (different collection than original) sent me a letter this august is it showing as new anyway and paying it off would make the most sense?

If i dont pay it off will it hurt my chances of attaining the loan and would it have been better to pay off?

I have no other collections on my report.

If it matters, I am looking to finance an engagement ring in the amount of around 6k, Please no comments on how it is smarter to pay cash. I have the ability to pay this off in less than a year, I aquired a 2nd job for this reason specifically and i am out of time to propose....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off old collection

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old collection from an unpaid Comcast bill, I wont go into details on how i got this but around June 2015 it went to collections. I recently got a letter in Aug 2017 from  ERC stating i owed $86.00 for this debt. I was under the assumption that is it was under $100.00 it wouldnt hurt my score and it was best to leave be due to the fact of paying it off would make it appear new to lenders.

I would just pay it off but i am looking to finance something here in the next month or so and dont know what to do? Should I pay it off and risk it showing as a new debt or since ERC (different collection than original) sent me a letter this august is it showing as new anyway and paying it off would make the most sense?

If i dont pay it off will it hurt my chances of attaining the loan and would it have been better to pay off?

If it matters, I am looking to finance an engagement ring in the amount of around 6k, Please no comments on how it is smarter to pay cash. I have the ability to pay this off in less than a year, I aquired a 2nd job for this reason specifically and i am out of time to propose....

The amount of the collection is unimportant to whether or not it will affect your score; just its presence negatively impacts its scores.   Are they willing to do a PFD?  If not, then I would pay the debt just to be rid of it.  Congratulations on your pending engagement. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The amount of the collection is unimportant to whether or not it will affect your score; just its presence negatively impacts its scores.   Are they willing to do a PFD?  If not, then I would pay the debt just to be rid of it.  Congratulations on your pending engagement. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not old enough to make a difference IMO. Pay it - but try to negotiate a PFD if you can..

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does PFD stand for?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay for delete, you offer the CA to pay the collection in exchange for them removing it from your credit report. It is best to get the agreement in writing.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.