Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off old debt???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off old debt???

Hi Everyone, I have 4 collections (back when I was young and naive) that are close to "falling off" my credit report. One will fall off next year the rest will fall of in 2018. Do you think its best to leave it and let it fall off or should I call and pay in full and have the collection agencies remove from my credit report? I read a few articles that  I shouldn't. I am stuck in the middle and I don't know what to do Smiley Sad

Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: Paying off old debt???

I'm of the mind that you should always pay debt you legally owe. I know there are many that would say "see how it will affect your score".

Are you planning on buying a house in the future?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not this year..possibly in a year or two.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a decision tree that may help you figure out what is best for you.

If you feel that you ought to pay the debt on ethical grounds, then we're done.  You have to pay it off.  Otherwise you'll never get any sleep.

If you don't feel that way, then you should assess how burdensome paying the collections would be.  For example, maybe the dollar value of the collection is so small that paying the full amount would be peanuts for you.  If so, then pay it off.

If the amount involved would be at least somewhat of a burden, then you need to ask whether there are any important credit needs that could arise before the collections would all drop off.  You mention that you might buy a house in a year, which is before when the last of the collections will fall off. 

If the advantage to ignoring the debt is greater than buying the home soon, then do not pay the debt.

If you are certain you want to buy the home sooner, then pay the debt off.

If you are not certain when the home purchase might fall, you should delay paying it off in the hope that the home purchase will occur after the collections fall off.

A few final thoughts.  You write:  ".... should I call and pay in full and have the collection agencies remove from my credit report?"

That's the wrong order.  Do not pay and then expect after that that the CA's will remove.  Negotiate an agreement of "Pay for Delete" with the CAs first.  Talk to the folks in the Rebuilding forum on how to do it.  No CA has to agree to this.

Look into what the Statute of Limitations is for your debt.  It's theoretically possible (depending on where one lives) that the debt could fall off your report before the SOL expires.  You want the SOL to have expired before you do anything: whether negotiating with CAs, buying a house, etc.  Bear in mind that you will always owe that debt.  When it falls off your report, it means simply that it has fallen off your report -- not that you don't owe it.  And when the SOL expires, it doesn't mean that you don't owe that debt -- it just means that if someone were to sue you in court for the debt then you could simply observe to the judge that the SOL had expired and you would be guaranteed to win (assuming you showed up to court).

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Paying generally doesn't provide much benefit.  It's removal that really provides a benefit.  You want to aim for a PFD where possible.

You could wait for the items to fall off but if you need to apply for credit before they do then generally you're better off without any derogs on your reports than with derogs.  Their effect can taper over time but they can have a significant impact and hold one's scores down as long as they are on reports.

That said, research very carefully before taking action as it is possible to make matters worse in some cases.  Don't overlook the Rebuilding subforum (and its stickies) as it is intended for such topics.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for you're suggestions and insights! This really helped me and at this point it is best for me to leave it as is; only because I am no where near in getting a new house anytime soon. I already have a car loan and 2 credit cards and I am good at this point. 

Thank you all!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you are making the right choice for you.  Best of luck.

PS.  I also got into a gigantic amount of trouble a long time ago.  Late 90s.  My choice finally was just to lie low and let everything fall off.  But I also resolved to look very hard at how it all happened and put in place plans to make sure I would be a good scout going forward.  For some of us that is the most realistic fusion of ethical behavior (at least touching future creditors) and financial and credit score sense.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.